pull down menus

gleekzorp

Hi Group...

I'm using this /old/ method of pulldown menus,
is there another (better) way of doing it? Something
that looks better.

<script language="JavaScript">
function fetch(){
var newtemp;
var tempurl;
var x=document.gotoForm.gotoMenu.selectedIndex;
newtemp=document.gotoForm.gotoMenu.options[x].value;
if (newtemp != null) {
location=newtemp;
}
document.gotoForm.gotoMenu.selectedIndex=0;
}
</script>

<form method="post" action="" name="gotoForm">
<select name="gotoMenu" onChange="fetch()">
<option selected>
Site Index&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
</option>
<option value="&nbsp;">
&nbsp;
<option value="index.html">
Home &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
<option value="about.html">
About Us &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
<option value="designed_sites.html">
Client Websites &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
<option value="banners.html">
Banners &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
<option value="logo.html">
Logos &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
<option value="secure_pricing.html">
Contact Us &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
<option value="web_links.html">
Web Links &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
<option value="credits.html">
Credits &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
<option value="faq.html">
Frequently Asked Questions&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
</select>
</form>

---------------------

Another programer suggested...

quote:

I can tell you what you should look for. If it's for a site
wide navbar type of thing look for something that uses a
list of ~<= 7 main category links. Sub links to the main
categories should be listed on the main category pages,
again using an unordered list with links.
This provides you with a good quality basic site navigation
that unlike some other solutions doesn't place a large
number of navigation links on each page. It will work for
those who don't use javascript, this includes SE bots.
Then you can use javascript to dynamically add the sub links
to the main category nav links, for example in the form of
drop down menus.
-----------------------------------

Gufus

mailto:[email protected]
http://www.gypsy-designs.com

.... Nature sides with the hidden flaw.
--- Squish/386 v1.11
* Origin: Gypsy BBS -- Gypsy Designs CDN (403) 242-3221 (1:134/2)

the idiot

Toby Inkster said:
Anything's got to be better than what you've got now.

Try:
http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/example/

i had a look at the link and thought ooh thats very nice i'll borrow it so i
can see how it works (reverse engineering) etc
and i was so excited till i looked at in opera 7.6 in which the menu doesnt
work at all.
do most designers ignore opera
is there a glitch in my version
or is there something wrong with the code?

Toby Inkster

the said:
and i was so excited till i looked at in opera 7.6 in which the menu doesnt
work at all.
do most designers ignore opera

I certainly don't -- it's my primary browser, and that page works just
dandy in it. Of course, I'm using 8.02, not 7.6, which I think you'll find
is only a beta (there was never an official 7.6x release). That said, back
when I *was* using the 7.6 betas, I'm pretty sure that page worked, so I'm
guessing the issue is specific to your installation/settings.

Jonathan N. Little

the idiot wrote:
i had a look at the link and thought ooh thats very nice i'll borrow it so i
can see how it works (reverse engineering) etc
and i was so excited till i looked at in opera 7.6 in which the menu doesnt
work at all.
do most designers ignore opera
is there a glitch in my version
or is there something wrong with the code?
Must be you ;-) Works with my test version 7.56 with and without
JavaScript (which is required for MSIE)

the idiot

Toby Inkster said:
I certainly don't -- it's my primary browser, and that page works just
dandy in it. Of course, I'm using 8.02, not 7.6, which I think you'll find
is only a beta (there was never an official 7.6x release). That said, back
when I *was* using the 7.6 betas, I'm pretty sure that page worked, so I'm
guessing the issue is specific to your installation/settings.
as far as i know i have its normal default settings.... maybe its time to
upgrade.

Gufus

From: (e-mail address removed)
i had a look at the link and thought ooh thats very nice
i'll borrow it so i can see how it works (reverse
engineering) etc and i was so excited till i looked at in
opera 7.6 in which the menu doesnt work at all. do most
designers ignore opera is there a glitch in my version or is
there something wrong with the code?

Hmmmmm..

Sorry to change my alias from: gleekzorp to gufus
but I wish to be know as gufus around here. :)

Must be you, Opera version: 8.0 works here with
my fishy code (stinks)....

Gufus

mailto:[email protected]
http://www.gypsy-designs.com

.... Real programmers use COPY CON <progname>.EXE

Gufus

Hi Toby,

From: (e-mail address removed)
Anything's got to be better than what you've got now.

Afternoon Sir.

Sorry to change my alias from: gleekzorp to gufus
but I wish to be know as Gufus, around here...

Okay?

Excellent, just a example I was looking for Toby, I
know my code was a bit fishy (stinks) but it did
work, even tho I was forcing users to use JavaScrip.

Gufus

mailto:[email protected]
http://www.gypsy-designs.com

.... That's not a bug. It's an undocumented Feature.

Gufus

Hi Toby,

From: (e-mail address removed)
I certainly don't -- it's my primary browser, and that page
works just dandy in it. Of course, I'm using 8.02, not 7.6,

Yep... I'm using Opera ver: 8.0, my code works fine with
that version.

Gufus

.... Howe's Law: Everyone has a scheme that will not work.

the idiot

Gufus said:
Monday September 12 2005, the idiot writes to Toby Inkster:

Hmmmmm..

Sorry to change my alias from: gleekzorp to gufus
but I wish to be know as gufus around here. :)

Must be you, Opera version: 8.0 works here with
my fishy code (stinks)....
good good good. i would rather it be me than them.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Gufus quothed:
Afternoon Sir.

Sorry to change my alias from: gleekzorp to gufus
but I wish to be know as Gufus, around here...

Okay?

A definite improvement...

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:
Hey! Don't diss the fish. :)

Sorry to be a bubble-breaker, but it's a known fact that when fish is
kept too long, it smells. Are you, uh, over 2 weeks old?

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:

Sorry to be a bubble-breaker, but it's a known fact that when fish is
kept too long, it smells. Are you, uh, over 2 weeks old?

Same thing with old people. ;)

Dr.Tube

Hi "the idiot"
i had a look at the link and thought ooh thats very nice i'll borrow it so i
can see how it works (reverse engineering) etc
and i was so excited till i looked at in opera 7.6 in which the menu doesnt
work at all.
I was testing this menu in an Opera 7.? (I can't remember
which one exactly) and it didn't wotk there either. Once I
updated to Opera 8.02 it started working.
More discerning is the fact that it doesn't fold out in
Safari, THE primary browser for Mac OSX... I wish I knew
why...

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed:
Same thing with old people. ;)

You can always change their diapers and sprinkle their tushes with rose
water. But once a fish gets BO, it's time for that last swim down the
toilet to piscine Paradise.