putting C# classes in App_Code

accessing C# classes in App_Code

I've a simple aspx page whose code behind instantiates a simple class which
exists in a .cs file in the App_Code folder of my project. Runs fine in the
IDE. When I copy the app to my IIS server I get this error in my browser:

Compilation Error
to service this request. Please review the following specific error details
and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'CustomClass'
could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly
reference?)

Source Error:
Line 18: protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
Line 19: {
Line 20: CustomClass c = new CustomClass();
Line 21: Label1.Text = c.GetMessage(TextBox1.Text);
Line 22: }

Source File: c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\AppCode_test\Default.aspx.cs Line: 20

What's up?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

accessing said:
I've a simple aspx page whose code behind instantiates a simple class
which exists in a .cs file in the App_Code folder of my project. Runs
fine in the IDE. When I copy the app to my IIS server I get this
error in my browser:

recommended practice) , but this is a classic asp newsgroup. ASP.Net bears
very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be lucky enough to
find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your question, you
can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a group where
those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest
There are also forums at www.asp.net

LRuss

Thanks for pointing this out Bob. I found the solution to my problem; the
App_Code folder must sit in the site root, not in the virtual directory.

Len