    the tests, every time the file is require 'd?

    Question 2: How can I do this so that RDoc shows the examples in the
    generated documentation?

    listrecv, Nov 14, 2005

  2. How about just something like that at the end of your file;

    if ENV["RUN_TESTS"]
    require 'test/unit'
    class MyTest < Test::Unit::TestCase
    #your tests
    end
    end

    Cheers,
    Dave

    David Balmain, Nov 14, 2005

  3. Hi --

    You can put this at the end of the file:

    if $0 == __FILE__
    # test code here
    end

    and then that code will only run if that exact file has been invoked.

    David

    David A. Black, Nov 14, 2005
  4. listrecv

    listrecv Guest

    David,

    That's a great idea. The only problem is that, let's say FileA and
    FileB both require FileC. We'd like to run the unit tests for each
    file separately, and certainly not more than once. With your code,
    they'll get run recursively, each time they're required.

    But maybe I could add
    if ENV["RUN_TESTS"} && $0 == __FILE__ ?

    Would that do it? And I guess then RDoc would see the class and doc it
    (it'll ignore the if statement wrapping it, I assume).

    listrecv, Nov 14, 2005
  5. Hi --

    They shouldn't run at all from any require'd file, because the $0 ==
    __FILE__ test won't pass in that file.
    If it gets that complex you might want to use Rake and set up a test
    target. That might be more scaleable.

    David

    David A. Black, Nov 14, 2005
  6. listrecv

    Trans Guest

    With Facets I use a remark:

    =begin test
    require 'text/unit'
    class ATest << Test::Unit::TestCase
    end
    =end

    when I want to run the test I remark the remarks:

    #=begin test
    #=end

    That works good for dev testing.

    Later when I want to run the enite testsuite I use a Reap task (see
    Rubyforge) that extracts and copies the remarked tests to the test
    directory.

    T.

    Trans, Nov 14, 2005
  7. listrecv

    Eric Hodel Guest

    So does creating a file per class and placing tests into identically =20
    named files with test_ on the front.

    This also makes it easy for testrb to pick up your tests and make =20
    things Just Work=99
    You need to not require test/unit. This is best done by placing =20
    tests in their own files.
    Put the tests in their own file and point RDoc at your test files.

    Typically I've found examples are best placed in the class and method =20=

    documentation because tests can provide an overwhelming amount of =20
    information.

    --=20
    Eric Hodel - - http://segment7.net
    FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

    Eric Hodel, Nov 14, 2005
  8. listrecv

    Eric Hodel Guest

    I like to run my tests all the time, and I like source control to run
    tests for me when I check in to make sure I didn't forget. Having to
    edit a file to run them is unnecessary extra work.

    This extra work does not reinforce good testing discipline.

    Eric Hodel, Nov 14, 2005
  9. listrecv

    Trans Guest

    Eric, you missed the last point. I have a script that exracts all tests
    to test_xxx files in test directory, so I have best of both worlds.

    T.

    Trans, Nov 15, 2005
  10. listrecv

    Eric Hodel Guest

    But... I don't need that script, so I will never have to maintain it.

    Eric Hodel, Nov 15, 2005