python ldap recursive

tekion

Hi,
I know perl Net::LDAP could do a recursive search call to LDAP. What
I am running into with Python LDAP on the search call is that I would
l have to wait for the search to complete to get the result. Where as
with Perl recursive search call, I would get the result (not the
completed result) back while the search is still running. Does any
know if we have something like this in Python LDAP module? Thanks.

Steven D'Aprano

Hi,
I know perl Net::LDAP could do a recursive search call to LDAP. What I
am running into with Python LDAP on the search call is that I would l
have to wait for the search to complete to get the result. Where as
with Perl recursive search call, I would get the result (not the
completed result) back while the search is still running. Does any know
if we have something like this in Python LDAP module? Thanks.

What Python LDAP module are you using?

Michael Ströder

tekion said:
I know perl Net::LDAP could do a recursive search call to LDAP.

I don't know perl's Net::LDAP and therefore I'm not sure what you mean with
"recursive search call". Personally I'd associate that with recursively
processing LDAP tree structure.
What I am running into with Python LDAP on the search call is that I would
l have to wait for the search to complete to get the result. Where as with
Perl recursive search call, I would get the result (not the completed
result) back while the search is still running.

In case you're using http://www.python-ldap.org you're probably looking for
the asynchronous search methods:

http://www.python-ldap.org/doc/html/ldap.html#ldap.LDAPObject.search

See general note: