Python performance

Schneider

Hi list,

I have to write a small SMTP-Relay script (+ some statistic infos) and
I'm wondering, if this
can be done in python (in terms of performance, of course not in terms
of possibility ;) ).

It has to handle around 2000 mails per hour for at least 8hours a day
(which does not mean, that it is allowed not to respond the rest of the day.

Can this be done? or should I better use some other programming language?
My second choice would be erlang.

bg,
Johannes

--
GLOBE Development GmbH
Königsberger Strasse 260

Grant Edwards

I have to write a small SMTP-Relay script (+ some statistic infos)
and I'm wondering, if this can be done in python (in terms of
performance, of course not in terms of possibility ;) ).

It has to handle around 2000 mails per hour for at least 8hours a day
(which does not mean, that it is allowed not to respond the rest of
the day.

Can this be done?

That's only a little over 2 per second, so I doubt Python is going to
be the bottleneck.

Grant Edwards

That's only a little over 2 per second, so I doubt Python is going to
be the bottleneck.

Doh! I meant 2 seconds per message. That's certainly not a problem.
But, as others have pointed out it's probably the peak rate not the
average rate that matters.