python under earthlink hosting?

mbstevens

I keep chatting with the tech support people at Earthlink, asking where
the location of the Python interpreter is. They don't seem to know where
it is. They don't know if Python is running on my server, either. I know
Perl is at /usr/local/bin/perl ...but when I use a similar address for
Python I get a 500 internal server error.

Has anyone succeeded in getting Python CGI scripts running on an earthlink
hosted site?

wes weston

No, but before I signed up with them I asked if it was available
and they said yes.
wes

Martin P. Hellwig

mbstevens said:
I keep chatting with the tech support people at Earthlink, asking where
the location of the Python interpreter is. They don't seem to know where
it is. They don't know if Python is running on my server, either. I know
Perl is at /usr/local/bin/perl ...but when I use a similar address for
Python I get a 500 internal server error.

Has anyone succeeded in getting Python CGI scripts running on an earthlink
hosted site?
Maybe they didn't symlink it, try /usr/local/bin/python2.4

mbstevens

Maybe they didn't symlink it, try /usr/local/bin/python2.4

Thanks, Martin.
I went back to earthlink with this:

_________________________
Me:
"I understand that I am supposed to be
able to write CGI
scripts in any scripting language. I can't seem to find the Python
interpreter on my server, and keep getting a 500 internal server error
with the following shebang lines:
#!/usr/local/bin/python
#!/usr/bin/python
#!/bin/python
#!usr/local/bin/python2.4
#!/usr/bin/python2.4
#!/bin/python2.4

Is Python just not running on the
server that hosts my site?
If it is running -- where is it?"
__

Daniel P:
"I am sorry, EarthLink provides support only for CGI and Perl
scripting."

It seemed like such a simple couple of questions for their support staff
to answer.

I'm beginning to think that if I want to write Python CGI scripts
I'll have to move to a different service.