[Q] Pyython and curses/ncurses/snack/tinter/...

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Burkert, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Hi

    I want to write a little application for the shell with a
    userinterface that is not line based. Think of the UI of mc for
    example. And I want to use Python on different Operating Systems.
    So it should be portable.

    Now what would you prefer as UI-library? I'm searching for a
    highlevel library with buttons, text boxes, dialog boxes,
    progress bars, ...

    I have heard of:
    - curses, ncurses ... low-level
    - snack ... wrapper for newt and slang
    - tinter

    Do you know of any other good library that is widely available?

    I have seen a lot of examples for curses and ncurses but not for
    the others.

    Snack seems to be only available for Linux and not well documented?!?

    thanks for any help!

    Chris Burkert
    Chris Burkert, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Chris Burkert

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    Snack should compile on any platform where SLang runs -- except Windows,
    of course. If you mean "Windows, Linux, MacOS, MacOSX, OS/2 and any
    other system where Python runs", there is no such library. In fact, if
    you mean "Windows and Linux", there's nothing here also.

    Text-mode interfaces are rather rare animals now.
    Jarek Zgoda, Jan 18, 2004