QT for Win32?

Kujawa, Greg

I have read several threads regarding QT running on a Windows platform. I
have compiled and installed the qt-free-win package (version 3) on my Win32
box and have tried several Ruby QT binding installs to no avail. Both the
QTRuby and the Ruby/QT variety. One of them couldn't find the qt libraries
when I tried to compile it, although I set the QTDIR environmental variable
and passed along the --with-qt-dir= specification. The other binding package
errored out along the way pulling in one of the QT include files. Perhaps it
was qstring (IIRC).

Is there a particular Ruby QT binding package that works with QT version 3
on the Windows platform and doesn't require compiling in order to bring it
in?

Richard Dale

I have read several threads regarding QT running on a Windows platform. I
have compiled and installed the qt-free-win package (version 3) on my
Win32 box and have tried several Ruby QT binding installs to no avail.
Both the QTRuby and the Ruby/QT variety. One of them couldn't find the qt
libraries when I tried to compile it, although I set the QTDIR
environmental variable and passed along the --with-qt-dir= specification.
The other binding package errored out along the way pulling in one of the
QT include files. Perhaps it was qstring (IIRC).

Is there a particular Ruby QT binding package that works with QT version 3
on the Windows platform and doesn't require compiling in order to bring it
in?
Ruby/Qt doesn't work with Qt 3 on any platform, it was based on Qt 1.x or
2.x, and never ported to Qt 3.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get QtRuby working on Windows, but I don't
personally have a Windows development environment to do the port. Also I
don't understand the license issues involved - when the GPL'd Qt 4 windows
is released it will be clearer. QtRuby works fine on Mac OS X, although the
build process is a bit fiddly - so it certainly isn't X11 specific and will
run on anything Qt runs on.

-- Richard