Question: A method for summing several variables

Harry Truax

------=_NextPart_000_00A3_01C48144.362462D0

Hi everyone,
I am new to Ruby and have a basic question.=20

My company uses Ruby in implementing calculations for various forms, =
like a federal 1040 form for example. Each calculatable field on the =
form is represented as 'box1_1' - this means the first box on page 1 of =
the form, 'box1_2' is the second box (or field) on page 1, etc..=20

We do several calculations such as adding together several boxes as in =
this example:=20

box1_37 =3D $CUR (box1_2.to_f + box1_4.to_f + box1_6.to_f +..etc)=20

Where $CUR =3D '%0.2f'

This can be tedious, as we have some calculations that add up as many as =
one hundred boxes. We set $SAFE to 3 in our application - it needs to be =
this value.=20

We initially set all boxes to '' as in this example:=20

box1_1 =3D '' box1_2 =3D '' . . box12_1 =3D '' box12_2 =3D '' etc. . .=20

How can I add up a range of boxes without having to specifiy each box by =
name? Maybe a nice short method I could call, giving it the starting box =
and the step value (sometimes the box numbers differ by a value other =
than 1, like my example above where they differ by 2) and the number of =
boxes to add.=20

Below is a method I tried, but 'box' was not being properly handled - =
box could be say, 'box1_10', but I want the value that 'box1_10' points =
to, not the .to_f value of the string 'box1_10'.=20

def add_boxes(box, step, count)
#Init local variables.
sum =3D 0
box_num =3D box[box.rindex('_') + 1,(box.length - 1) - =
box.rindex('_')].to_i
box_prefix =3D box[0, box.rindex('_') + 1]
=20
0.upto(count) {
sum +=3D box.to_f
box_num +=3D step
box =3D box_prefix + box_num.to_s
}
end =20

Thanks a lot for your help, I have been out of the programming scene for =
a few years and any help is greatly appreciated.=20

Regards,=20

Harry Truax=20

------=_NextPart_000_00A3_01C48144.362462D0--

Lennon Day-Reynolds

Harry,

The natural way to handlie this kind of problem in Ruby would be to
store the form field values in a two-dimensional array, rather than as
specially-named variables. That way, you can use the built-in
iteration functionality that Ruby arrays support to loop through
fields, total them, etc.

I'd recommend looking at the "Containers, Blocks, and Iterators"
chapter of the Pickaxe book
(http://rubycentral.com/book/tut_containers.html) to see how this kind
of object collection is handled in "idiomatic" Ruby code.

If you need more specific help, just let us know.

Lennon

Harry Truax

Lennon,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I am required to use the box
variables (box1_1, box12_24,...etc.).

Harry