Question about InitialLdapContext

laredotornado

Hi,

I'm using java 1.5 with WebLogic 9.2.2 on Solaris 9. We are
initializing our active directory context like so ...

Hashtable env = new Hashtable(5, 0.75f);
env.put(Context.PROVIDER_URL, this.ACTIVE_DIR_SERVER);
InitialLdapContext context = null;
context = new InitialLdapContext(env, null);

We are setting our active directory server to "ldap://
XXXXXXXXLDP01.cable.myco.com:999/ou=Users,ou=AAS
Services,ou=Corporate,dc=cable,dc=myco,dc=com". Notice the space in
"AAS Services". This seems to be cauisng NamingExceptions. The
exception in our log file is:

FATAL 2009-03-05 18:12:52,214 -
[com.myco.nps.im.utils.SecureADUserAuthentication::authenticateAD] -
The Primary Active Directory authentication
FAILED:javax.naming.NamingException: Cannot parse url:
Services,ou=Corporate,dc=cable,dc=myco,dc=com [Root exception is
java.net.MalformedURLException: Invalid URI:
Services,ou=Corporate,dc=cable,dc=myco,dc=com]

Do I need to be doing some data massaging to the active directory URl
before I pass it to the initial context?

Thanks, - Dave

Owen Jacobson

[...]

Spaces are not legal characters in a URL (along with a few others).
Construct a java.net.URI or java.net.URL from your initial String, then
convert that back to a String - it should handle the escaping for you.
Read the docs on those classes and the various URL/URI RFCs for the
(*surprisingly* bloody) details.

-o