Question about my projects

Joined
Jul 23, 2021
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,

On different forums people were incredibly condescending regarding my question and they thought it was a joke. I hope I'll find some help here :)

I need information what tools / languages to use to create 2 projects. I want to start my programming adventure in order to create them. Although it may turn out that some simple tools are sufficient, I'd gladly learn coding too.
I'm interested in automating my tasks at work on my own in the future.
Certain stuff can certainly be created in Excel, but perhaps there's something better for automating tasks, make projects visually interesting, etc. I want these projects to run until the end of the year (if it goes beyond that, no problem). Below you can find what I'd love to create:

1. First project:
- having specific data (currently for several thousand objects, but the number of objects is still growing): it would be necessary to assign levels through which individual data with deadlines pass (but not like a Gantt chart, with only one timeline - deadlines on individual levels are always the same and you have to show that they are exceeded) - 1 timeline for 1 object and when it exceeds, alerts are displayed
- editing all data, adding comments
- end the timeline in case of liquidation
- generating reports
- generating files for printing with a specific data layout
- search engine
- possibility of adding new functions etc.

2. Second project
- uploading external files, marking specific values and creating new content with a few clicks, it's about specific repetitive time-consuming activities with different data each time, i.e. we have 3 objects where you need to assign specific amount from specific invoices + always proportional division of the cost from the rest of specific invoices
- being able to mark these values on the uploaded file, combine it with a proportional division and generate amounts for 3 objects with a few clicks

I'm asking you for hints what tool / language is the best here?

I'd like to add that there is no IT support at my work, so I check everything manually (i.e. in the notebook :D) like exceeded deadlines with a few thousand objects, there is no possibility to generate reports for the boss and you also have to stick the data together by hand, etc...

Thanks in advance.

Joined
Mar 3, 2021
Messages
241
Reaction score
30
I'm not sure what current tools would exist to solve the problems. It's very specific. But, it sounds like the most straightforward way to accomplish this is by making a website. It certainly wouldn't be easy, especially the UI portions of it (but existing JavaScript libraries might alleviate the burden). UIs in other languages are very difficult and mostly hand-rolled, so they're generally not suitable for learning or first-time projects. Depending on how smooth, fancy, or interactive you want it, it could be quite a lot of UI code. I'd be interested to hear what others think, though.

Barring public outcry, you've got a few choices of languages. Your front-end/UI will likely be HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Your back-end can be Python, JavaScript, Perl, Ruby, PHP, etc, etc. I'd generally recommend JavaScript or Python. Both are easy to learn. JavaScript is nice because you'll be learning it a bit anyway for the front-end. Python is nice because it's got a ton of online resources and it's got modules for everything. I tend to recommend Python as a first language, but you can always try each for a week/weekend and see what one you prefer. If you've got any more specific questions during your journey, we'll be here. =)

Joined
Jul 12, 2020
Messages
89
Reaction score
9
sounds familiar like a business app, but I'd need more information such as :
"several thousand objects, but the number of objects is still growing" what kind of objects or do you mean items such as a product list?

"1 timeline for 1 object and when it exceeds, alerts are displayed"
is this a classroom where student activities are limited like taking atest in a specific amount of time?

"end the timeline in case of liquidation" huh? This I don't understand

Note: When you're your talking to coders about projects, the more specific you are about what your project deals with the better your results. Chances are someone has already built it. Secretive meanings don't really work with logical thinking. For example:
- editing all data, adding comments
- generating reports
- generating files for printing with a specific data layout
- search engine

This is all database manipulation and HTML/CSS for layouts of any kind.

"uploading external files, marking specific values and creating new content with a few clicks"
interface also html

anyway, since you don't know coding, your best bet would be to lay things out in various images so coders can see what you're trying to do and then let upload the images. This should spark things and could even create a coder compilation project just to help you out. In the images include form elements listings etc.

Joined
Jul 23, 2021
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I really appreciate your help!

I absolutely get it's not precise, I'd love to give away more details but it's for my work and there are infos I can't give away.
The company doesn't care for optimisation and things that can probably be done in 5 minutes take weeks.
I wanted to get the general gist where to start.