Question about Ruby and databases

Omar Campos

Hello all,

I am new to Ruby (actually I used Ruby a few years back, but because of
certain personal situations I stopped learning Ruby). I have a question
concerning Ruby and databases. I've read that the best way to access
databases is to use Ruby::DBI module. However, when I downloaded it from
Ruby-Forge, the tar.gz file contained a simple Ruby script called "dbi-0.1.1".
The script begins with the line:

require "dbi"

And why would the dbi module contain a line that includes "dbi"? Obviously
something must be wrong. I then went to the Sourceforge download page. The
version there was old (0.0.21), but it contained a lot of other scripts.
including a setup script. Now, I haven't run this scripts, but this older
version seems more complete. However, being an old version, will it work
with the latest versions of say, MySQL? So the question is: where to do I
download the latest complete distribution of Ruby::DBI, because the one at
Ruby Forge (the supposed official homepage) seems to be incomplete).

Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Omar