Question on Using Partial Types with ASP.NET via J.I.T.

-=Chris=-

I was minding my own business when nospam blurted out:
The last person you ever want to give access to your SQL Server is a Sys
Admin!!!!

Um... the SysAdmin is generally responsible for the health and maintenence
of the server on which SQL server rides on. In fact, the sys admin is often
responsible for many of the same types of tasks that the DBA is responsible
for. Speaking for myself, as a sys admin, I would refuse to manage a server
that I did not have access to. That would be like asking a developer to
develop a database application without access to the database.
Most attacks and computer crimes come from the inside...and GUESS
WHO those insiders might be? disgruntled SysAdmin.....

And a disgruntled DBA with admin access to the db couldn't do the same
thing? Not a good argument.
By opening up SQL Server to the Windows Security all those on the Windows
side are now potential suspects IF a computer crime would be
committed.....

Not true. Even if you set your SQL server to use integrated security, the
only windows users who have access to the server by default are local and/or
domain administrators. Regular users ONLY have access once an admin has
granted them access. In addition, the same security restrictions that can
be placed on sql users, can be placed on windows users. When granting a
windows user access to a database, a sql server login is actually created to
represent the windows user.
Second of all if there is a Web Server, the SQL server should be in the same
room with an independent $50 dollar network switch directly connected to the
Web server thereby eliminating any network intercepts in the first place.

Not always true. Consider the fact that not all businesses have only 1 web
and 1 sql server to manage. Some of them have 10s, or even hundreds.

Guest

Here is another example of Microsoft security.....and why Integrated
security should cause you to FEEL INSECURE...

Mail server flaw opens Exchange to spam
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5107904.html

Again and again......if it's not one thing, it's another........

Yeah, right, let's listen to Microsoft on security.......

Anyone basically can, on any given day, look up and see another flaw in
security or OOP or n-Tier....you name it, it's I.T. that doesn't know what
they are doing.....

stupid brainwashed programmers who listen to these authors, "so-called"
architects, gurus, Mr.-I-have-3+articles written-on-DevX-or-wrox, or some
..NET magazine......again and again...sitting around on a white board mapping
out UML has proven to be so failure ridden I don't know how you guys get
away with it!!!

.....Oh, wait.....you guys smoozy up with those VC's like Hummer Windblad and
their failed petstore who could not figure out that people don't want to pay
for shipping on a 50lb bag of dog food....duhhh......they could have at
least asked their mom about that!!!!

ah yes one 10page resume MBA leading another 10page resume MCSD.......

The only thing these MBA, MCSD, MVP's and gurus are good at are their
PowerPoint slides and typing their 3 and 4 letter acronyms....

Typing 3-4 letter acronyms onto a computer is not the same as typing out the
entire production code to a web app.

Example code and apps are not PRODUCTION apps....ask the
DotNetJunkies......I bet you deep down, they feel a lot different then what
they are saying.......and OOP and n-Tier are not what they are cut out to
be.......Look at the DotNetNuke re-write....shawn thinks that's the only
way...yet in his blogs he's complaining about how hard and how much time he
spent just trying to separate the data tier cleanly...and for WHAT???? to
hook up to some Access database.....all that trouble for people who want to
their database for free, yet the developer who spent all the time
programming thinks he is going to get paid for all that effort...ha ha
ha.....sooner or latter, this developer is going to learn that people who
are going to pay him something is going to pay for SQL Server....you think
people who want to use an Access database care about performance, security,
and the long term....guess again, if they don't care enough to even spend
for a $1000 copy of single client license sql server...don't you ever expect
them to pay you for n-Tier, OOP solution......

oh, but wait a second...let's let the access db get corrupted and then they
will come a running to you and then you can charge them more!!!!!, or will
they blame you........either way.....something gets a lot of downtime,
unhappy customers, and all because someone didn't stand their ground.....

nospam said:
Maybe you should mind your own business.

SysAdmin generally don't know anything about SQL Server programming, nor or
they PAID to do so.
Not true. Even if you set your SQL server to use integrated security, the
only windows users who have access to the server by default are local and/or
domain administrators. Regular users ONLY have access once an admin has
granted them access. In addition, the same security restrictions that can
be placed on sql users, can be placed on windows users. When granting a
windows user access to a database, a sql server login is actually
created
represent the windows user.

And do we need the LOCAL admin or DOMAIN admin to have access to the SQL
Server...they don't know any sql programming anyway, nor are they familiar
with the tables or the store procedures and much less the application that
uses the database anyway.

Um... the SysAdmin is generally responsible for the health and maintenence
of the server on which SQL server rides on. In fact, the sys admin is often
responsible for many of the same types of tasks that the DBA is responsible
for.

THEN you are NOT only a SYSADMIN. IF you perform DBA tasks, you are also a
DBA. If you walk like a DBA, talk like a DBA and quack like a DBA, then you
are a DBA.

Not always true. Consider the fact that not all businesses have only 1 web
and 1 sql server to manage. Some of them have 10s, or even hundreds.

Well, you know they should be all in the SAME room and with a separate
network switch from the intranet then.....

And a disgruntled DBA with admin access to the db couldn't do the same
thing? Not a good argument.

YES it is a GOOD argument as you then have a PRETTY good IDEA of who had
access then.
Did you forget, "the principle of least privilege"? that's what they taught
you in the NT security world right?

What do they teach in in security school? Each attack is a NEW, "un-thought
of" attack.

Regular user or Admin User...DOES it REALLY MATTER as this new attack will
exploit this domain relationship and get a regular user to elevate their
user rights to admin rights, accidentally or mischievously ...
This has been a successful mode of attack before.....and it can be done many
many ways......

You allow them to possibly exploit an undocumented or unknown bug in the
system..."software will always have bugs, right???"

-=Chris=- said:
[...]

NRGeti

This is an excellent reply. I agree. Your comments actually apply across the
board for all kinds of programming. I never could understand how anyone who
knows how to write code but has no clue to business processes and user
behavior can ever come up with a working, useful system.

I have seen brilliant people who could recite the entire programming manual
page for page and write reams of code without ever printing it out to check
it and yet come up with a piece of cr** that the users hate.

ozbear

I was minding my own business when nospam blurted out:

Um... the SysAdmin is generally responsible for the health and maintenence
of the server on which SQL server rides on. In fact, the sys admin is often
responsible for many of the same types of tasks that the DBA is responsible
for. Speaking for myself, as a sys admin, I would refuse to manage a server
that I did not have access to. That would be like asking a developer to
develop a database application without access to the database.

<snip>
I wouldn't get my knickers in a bunch over anything that "nospam" had
to say on just about anything.

Oz

Guest

You know you need to try a LOT harder to discredit me......
To bad your nose is still buried in your n-Tier and OOP books and articles
and "example" code....

I could easily bring up a few points in the past were everyone of you MVP's
and gurus thought I was a complete idiot screeming off the top of my lungs
how the current architecture or feature, or missing feature was stupid, yet
only to be validated years later......

If I were you, I would be very quiet, otherwise you would have to have a
good portion of humble pie.

Guest

The screaming is needed because I am trying to knock some sense into
programmers who act like 14-year olds when they are proven WRONG.

Dear .NET Gurus, Authors, MVP's, MCSD, Programmers, Developers, Architects,
etc.,

You are some of the most arrogant people in the world and deserve to be
treated as an upset 14-year old as that's essentially what you have been
acting like. You have no CLUE how a real business works NOR even know what
the customer wants while cramming your noses in more OOP, n-Tier books and
articles that have more failed implementations than successes. But you
don't even know that because you still think you are right just like that
14-year old who hasn't grown up and learned to admit his mistakes.

WHY YES, SCREAMING (FULL CAPS) is necessary to get through all the NOISE of
EXCUSES you guys are spouting and spinning off everyday when something goes
wrong that you try to blame others on. FULL CAPS are NECESSARY as
Programmers stop reading when they are proven wrong and spout off their
rhetoric.

Now who is the 14-year old idiot you are trying to dis-credit?

Cor

Hi Nospam,

I dont know from which country you are, in my country people from 12 talk
like this.

Cor

Guest

Wow dude, Try Decaff or a nap. And to think, I thought I was an ass.

Blanket statements are almost always a sign of a lack of knowledge or
wisdom.

And Welcome to the blocked list,
B-Bye

ozbear

The screaming is needed because I am trying to knock some sense into
programmers who act like 14-year olds when they are proven WRONG.
<snip>

Don't go away mad....

Just go away.

Oz

Eric Newton

NRGeti, you are touching on some the Great Divide between Clients who only
typically have a vague idea of what they want, and developers that have to
know exactly what the Client wants.

I just ran into this problem myself in a dispute over features in a web
app... a client wanted news topics, so i built a simple news engine, based
on the money rate involved, they come back saying "Oh... but we wanted to be
able to categorize the news"... they didnt ask for that and why would I just
automatically put it in when I'm not getting paid very much in the first
place? Their retort was "but wouldn't you tell us?" How am I suppose to
read their minds? ie, "Its not in the SPECS"

The specs are a near-formal contract of what is expected between both
parties, how can we deal "at arms length" with each other if we don't even
fully know what each party wants out of the working relationship?