Quick Question: Expat vs LT XML

winderjj

Hi All,

I need everyones opinion. I am very new to XML but am temporarily
putting all my efforts into using it. This is what I need to do.

Write an xml parser (in C) that will parse a fairly complicated XML
file that is full of technical data(most scalar values). Then I need
to store all the info in a C structure. Could some people give me
their opinion. Which is better suited for this, Expat or LT xml?

I would also like to be able to validate the XML file against the DTD.
Would one of these be able to do this? I noticed RXP might be good
for this.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Toni Uusitalo

winderjj said:
Hi All,

I need everyones opinion. I am very new to XML but am temporarily
putting all my efforts into using it. This is what I need to do.

Write an xml parser (in C) that will parse a fairly complicated XML
file that is full of technical data(most scalar values). Then I need
to store all the info in a C structure. Could some people give me
their opinion. Which is better suited for this, Expat or LT xml?

I would also like to be able to validate the XML file against the DTD.
Would one of these be able to do this? I noticed RXP might be good
for this.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

If you must validate, RXP/LT might be only choice for C, I'm not absolutely
sure... check
http://www.xmlsoftware.com/parsers.html
for example.

You might also give a try to Parsifal if you don't need validation and can
live with UTF-8/latin characters, API is somewhat easier to use than Expat.
JUdge for yourself.

Toni Uusitalo

John Winderbaum

THanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback.

After posting that first message I made alot more progress. I did
decide to use libxml for my parsing needs. I did some investigation of
discoved the api is much more friends and there is some good
documentation.

I also began to fool around with RXP. I finally got is to validate some
simple XML files against a DTD. All I need is to run it before starting
up my system. Just to validate the data.

thanks for the comments. Am I making sense?

Toni Uusitalo

Toni Uusitalo said:
If you must validate, RXP/LT might be only choice for C, I'm not absolutely
sure... check
http://www.xmlsoftware.com/parsers.html
for example.

You might also give a try to Parsifal if you don't need validation and can
live with UTF-8/latin characters, API is somewhat easier to use than Expat.
JUdge for yourself.

Toni Uusitalo

silly me, I forgot libxml! That must be the most active and forked XML api
for C.

Toni Uusitalo