rankmylist.com, please critique

Nik Coughlin

David said:
I doubt if any visitor will have the patience to do this. According to
my rather rusty maths you will be asking them to do (n*(n-1))/2
comparisons when, in the easiest case, they only needed to do n-1. For
a list of five items that's ten instead of four which is tolerable.
However, most people could order five items without the aid of your
program. For your food list it's 4,465 instead of 94.

I see your point, I'm going to try that. In fact, I may make it the default
and hide the option of doing it the other way away somewhere for those who
are both highly indecisive and have a lot of time to kill :)
I'm sure it does given your definition of better. My definition of
better was minimising the amount of effort for your user.

My definition of better was that quite often people don't really know what
they think, so it's quite possible for them to think that they like 1 better
than 2, and 2 better than 3, yet because they don't consciously consider the
relationship between 1, 2 and 3 at the time they may choose 3 over 1 if
asked.
I should add that I think your project is a good idea and my comments
are only intended to optimise it for my use :)

Consider it on the to do list!

password

Leonard Blaisdell said:
Perhaps some indication of progress while clicking on options would be
of help. Or a far smaller example group than food. When do you stop or
win ;-)
food? any word subject is accepted. also noted that leaving the page and
returning again my previous data still existed.

password

Nik Coughlin said:
I see your point, I'm going to try that. In fact, I may make it the default
and hide the option of doing it the other way away somewhere for those who
are both highly indecisive and have a lot of time to kill :)

My definition of better was that quite often people don't really know what
they think, so it's quite possible for them to think that they like 1 better
than 2, and 2 better than 3, yet because they don't consciously consider the
relationship between 1, 2 and 3 at the time they may choose 3 over 1 if
asked.

Consider it on the to do list!

make sure the list also includes 'validate code'.