Re Interest check in some delicious syntactic sugar for "except:pass"

Oren Elrad

To all that responded, thanks for the prompt response folks, your
criticisms are well taken. Coming from Cland, one is inculcated with
the notion that if the programmer wants to shoot himself in the foot
the language ought not to prevent that (or even should return him a
loaded magnum with the safety off and the hair-trigger pulled). My
apologies for not immediately grokking the cultural difference in
pytown.

With that said, let me at least offer a token defense of my position.
By way of motivation, I wrote that email after copying/pasting the
following a few times around a project until I wrote it into def
SilentlyDelete() and its cousin SilentlyRmdir()

""" code involving somefile """
try:
.........os.remove(somefile)
except:
........pass # The bloody search indexer has got the file and I
can't delete it. Nothing to be done.

Certainly the parade of horribles (bad files! corrupt data! syntax
errors!) is a tad melodramatic. Either os.remove() succeeds or it
doesn't and the execution path (in the estimation of this programmer,
at least) is not at all impacted by whether it succeeds or fails. I
know with certainty at compile time what exceptions might be raised
and what the consequences of passing them are and there is no sense
pestering the user or sweating over it. Nor can I see the logic, as
was suggested, in writing "except OSError:" since (seems to me) mere
surplusage -- it neither causes a semantic difference in the way the
program runs nor provides anything useful to the reader.

Now, perhaps this is a special case that is not nearly special enough
to warrant its own syntactic sugar, I granted that much, but >30,000
examples in Google Code cannot be considered to be a complete corner
case either. Briefly skimming those results, most of them seem to be
of this flavor, not the insane programmer that wants to write
"silence: CommitDBChangesEmailWifeAndAdjustBankAccount()" nor novices
that aren't aware of what they might be ignoring.

At any rate (and since this is far more words than I had intended), I
want to reiterate that the criticism is well-taken as a cultural
matter. I just don't want everyone to think I'm bloody insane or that
I'm not aware this is playing with fire. Maybe we can put it in module
"YesImSureJustBloodyDoItAlreadyGoddamnit" and prints an ASCII skull
and crossbones to the console when imported? :p

~ Oren

PS. I did like Dave's suggestions that one might want to write
"silence Type1 Type2:" which I suppose goes a long way towards
alleviating the concern that the programmer doesn't know what he's
missing. Doesn't quite meet my desire (both syntaxes would be nice, of
course) to avoid the verbiage involved with explaining to the compiler
(or the next reader) something that it knows well enough by now (or
ought to know, at least).

Michael Rudolf

Am 03.03.2010 12:47, schrieb Oren Elrad:
""" code involving somefile """
try:
........os.remove(somefile)
except:
.......pass # The bloody search indexer has got the file and I
can't delete it. Nothing to be done.

You don't know that what you stated in your comment is true.
All you know is that there was an exception. To find the reason, you
have to inspect the exception.
You escpecially do NOT know whether the file is removed or not.

OK, os.remove() might be a CPython builtin (not sure ATM), but in
general all sort of crazy things can happen here, like ImportError
raised by code in the lib or so.
And of course: a bare except: also catches ^C or SystemExit. That is
almost certainly *not* what you want, right?

To your first question about a "silenced" keyword: you could emulate
this with context managers I guess.

Something like (untested, just a quick mockup how it could look):

class silenced:
def __init__(self, *silenced):
self.exceptions=tuple(silenced) #just to be explicit
def __enter__(self):
return self #dito1
def __exit__(self, type, value, traceback):
for ex in self.exceptions:
if isinstance(value, ex):
return True #supresses exception

So:

with silenced(os.Error):
os.remove(somefile)

Would translate to:

try:
os.remove(somefile)
except os.Error:
pass

One nice thing about this approach would be that you can alias a set of
exceptions with this:

idontcareabouttheseerrors=silenced(TypeError, ValueError, PEBCAKError,
SyntaxError, EndOfWorldError, 1D10T_Error)

with idontcareabouttheseerrors:
do_stuff()

Regards,
Michael

Steven D'Aprano

With that said, let me at least offer a token defense of my position. By
way of motivation, I wrote that email after copying/pasting the
following a few times around a project until I wrote it into def
SilentlyDelete() and its cousin SilentlyRmdir()

""" code involving somefile """
try:
........os.remove(somefile)
except:
.......pass # The bloody search indexer has got the file and I can't
delete it. Nothing to be done.

Or:

(1) you forgot to import the os module
(2) the os module (or os.remove) was rebound or monkey-patched to
something unexpected
(3) you have a bug in your code and somefile=23 (say) instead of the
filename you're expecting
(4) the user hit the interrupt key just at that instance
(5) somefile doesn't exist
(6) somefile does exist, but you don't have write-permission for it
(7) the disk is mounted read-only
(8) you don't have a search indexer and something else has gone wrong

Hiding all those different errors is, quite frankly, shoddy work.

#1-3 certainly shouldn't be hidden, as they are bugs in your program. #4
shouldn't be hidden, ignoring the user's interrupt command is bad, and
rude if it is deliberate. #5 probably shouldn't be hidden either, as it
most likely indicates a program bug, but some rare applications may be
okay with ignoring it. And #6-8 should be told to the user, so they can
fix the problem.