read a grayscale bitmap in C++

Anirudh Saria

Does anyone know how to read in a grayscale bitmap image in Visual C++ and
store the pixel values in an array ?

Thanks,
Anirudh

Victor Bazarov

Anirudh Saria said:
Does anyone know how to read in a grayscale bitmap image in Visual C++ and
store the pixel values in an array ?

Sure. You open the file using 'ifstream' object, and then use
'read' member function to retrieve the contents of the file.
Whenever you encounter a "pixel value" (whatever that means
to you), you store it in the array you allocate before starting
the reading operation. Use 'new' to allocate the array.

Or did you expect to find a manual of graphical file formats
here? We don't do graphics in comp.lang.c++. You should try
comp.graphics.algorithms or comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.

Victor