Reading mouse input with Java comm

Steve

Hi Folks...

I'm trying to get a Java program together to read the input from a
serial mouse connected to my PC on COM1. This is not the main mouse so
I don't get a port in use exception when I start the program. The
problem is that I get absolutely nothing.

I've constructed this from scraps I've found all over the internet.
I'm using version 2.1.7 of the RXTX comm API hence the 'gnu.io'
package prefixes.

I'd be most grateful if anyone has a suggestion on why this doesn't
work. Or indeed any step I might take to ensure the mouse if connected
properly to the PC.

With thanks in advance,
Steve.

import gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier;
import gnu.io.SerialPort;
import gnu.io.SerialPortEvent;
import gnu.io.SerialPortEventListener;

import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.InputStream;

public final class CommServiceManager {
public void initialise() throws Exception {
CommPortIdentifier portId =
CommPortIdentifier.getPortIdentifier("COM1");
SerialPort serialPort = (SerialPort) portId.open("MouseReader",
2000);
final InputStream inputStream = serialPort.getInputStream();
serialPort.addEventListener(new SerialPortEventListener() {
public void serialEvent(SerialPortEvent evt) {
if (evt.getEventType() == SerialPortEvent.DATA_AVAILABLE) {
byte[] readBuffer = new byte[20];
try {
while (inputStream.available() > 0)
inputStream.read(readBuffer);

System.out.println(">>" + new String(readBuffer));
} catch (IOException ioe) {
ioe.printStackTrace();
});

serialPort.setSerialPortParams(
9600,
SerialPort.DATABITS_8,
SerialPort.STOPBITS_1,
SerialPort.PARITY_NONE
);

serialPort.notifyOnDataAvailable(true);

serialPort.notifyOnCTS(true);
serialPort.notifyOnDSR(true);

serialPort.setDTR(true);
serialPort.setRTS(true);

int duration = 1000;
float pulseRate = 1.28f;
int numOfPulse = (int) (duration * pulseRate);

int waitingTime = (int) (1000 / (2 * pulseRate));
for (int i = 1; i <= numOfPulse * 2; i++) {
serialPort.setDTR(i % 2 == 1);
Thread.sleep(waitingTime);

try {
CommServiceManager manager = new CommServiceManager();
manager.initialise();

while (true) {
Thread.sleep(2000);
}
} catch (Exception e) {
e.printStackTrace();

Knute Johnson

Steve said:
[...]

Is this being used on a Windows machine? If it is you need to use Sun's
JavaComm implementation. RXTX on Windows is seriously broken.

As to your code, I don't think you are looking long enough to find anything.

Does a serial mouse return characters? I've never tried it.

Let me know if you are using Windows, if so I'll scrounge around in my
garage to find one that I think is down there and give it a try.

Steve

Steve said:
[...]

Hi..

Crazy as it may seem this is being developed on Windows and deployed
in Linux machines. The details above are relevant to the development
version and so yes this is Windows. I will try it with the Sun comm
implementation. I could use a factory to create an 'impl' class based
on the OS version. Apache commons provides tools to do just that.

Rgds,
Steve.

Knute Johnson

Steve said:
Steve said:
[...]

I went looking for my old serial mouse but apparently I tossed it when I
cleaned up the garage last time.

Post back if you have trouble with the Sun JavaComm package, I am fairly
familiar with it.