Real Microkernel Need C coders

Adam

I'll get to the facts and just give me sometime. Just by looking at the
machs code you should be able to tell it has some problems.

Really my number 1 problem with mach, is it isn't an entire operating
system. Not even a kernel, but part of a kernel.

Chris Barts

Adam said:
Really my number 1 problem with mach, is it isn't an entire operating
system. Not even a kernel, but part of a kernel.

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't this the point? Mach is a /microkernel/: It
doesn't do everything Linux or Windows or any of the common BSDs do,
because it expects to host something like Darwin or HURD that does a lot
of the things that provides the system with a look-and-feel. (In fact, I
think Mach is capable of hosting a lot of instances of HURD or Darwin on
the same machine (or cluster of machines), hardware limitations permitting.)

This whole thread is very much OT for comp.lang.c, but I would like some
response to this post.

jacob navia

Chris said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't this the point? Mach is a /microkernel/: It
doesn't do everything Linux or Windows or any of the common BSDs do,
because it expects to host something like Darwin or HURD that does a lot
of the things that provides the system with a look-and-feel. (In fact, I
think Mach is capable of hosting a lot of instances of HURD or Darwin on
the same machine (or cluster of machines), hardware limitations
permitting.)

This whole thread is very much OT for comp.lang.c, but I would like some
response to this post.

The problem is that "Adam" doesn't realize that. Mach is real
software, i.e. it runs. Mr "Adam" is just a wannabe without
any technical background.

Instead of studying what an OS is, he just says:
"brain damaged" and asks that we should code for him.

jacob