real random

Dik T. Winter

> Look. People crack DVDs, HDMI, etc, even when there is little
> monetary incentive. The reason is because there is no way to keep the
> debugger out of a mainstream system -- i.e., they can't hide the
> details, as much as they would want to.

That is, complete information on how it works is available.
> Yet poker sites; where there is a *LOT* of
> monetary incentive remain relative unhacked (I won't claim totally,
> but certainly many have been in long term operation, and are
> profitable and "fair".) How could that be possible if you can't
> generate random numbers?

By not showing the process that generates numbers? For those sites to
work it is sufficient if the numbers already generated give insufficient
information to predict the next number. Whether it is a true random,
a pseudo random or not a random sequence at all. I think a Mersenne
twister with long enough perdiod would be suited perfectly. Moreover,
I do not think the individual players on such sites even get sufficient
information about the numbers generated so far (in many of those games
distributed cards remain hidden).

Squeamizh

In message <[email protected]

No she made so many mistakes and gaffs and was clearly so far out of her
depth it was quite believable she said "my house"

Actually outside the USA most people took it as a sign from McCain when
he had Palin as his running mate that he did not want to win the
election

So now you speak for "most people" outside of USA, do you? Since the
only criticism you've leveled at her involves statements she never
made or the supposed opinions of others, I can only conclude that you
know practically nothing about her. It is just as well that this is
way off-topic here, since continuing this discussion with you would
just be another waste of my time.

Nobody

Please note that not all crypto applications need numbers obtained
from truly random processes,

Apart from key generation, truly random processes are undesirable. You
normally want to be able to produce the same sequence of bits on each end.

[With a one-time pad, the "key" is the entire pad, so generating the pad
falls under key generation.]
or indeed from pseudo-random processes.

Anything worthy of being called "crypto" is a pseudo-random process. Any
cryptographic algorithm can be used as a PRNG by encrypting a stream of
zeros.

Phil Carmody

Nobody said:
Please note that not all crypto applications need numbers obtained
from truly random processes,

Apart from key generation, truly random processes are undesirable. You
normally want to be able to produce the same sequence of bits on each end.

[With a one-time pad, the "key" is the entire pad, so generating the pad
falls under key generation.]
or indeed from pseudo-random processes.

Anything worthy of being called "crypto" is a pseudo-random process. Any
cryptographic algorithm can be used as a PRNG by encrypting a stream of
zeros.

Using a suitable mode (of which there aren't a huge variety).
ECB wouldn't work very well, for example.

Phil

websnarf

 > Look.  People crack DVDs, HDMI, etc, even when there is little
 > monetary incentive. The reason is because there is no way to keep the
 > debugger out of a mainstream system -- i.e., they can't hide the
 > details, as much as they would want to.

That is, complete information on how it works is available.

I think you are putting the cart before the horse -- hackers *make*
the information available, because hiding information in a binary is
just incentive for some of these people.
 >                           Yet poker sites; where there is a *LOT* of
 > monetary incentive remain relative unhacked (I won't claim totally,
 > but certainly many have been in long term operation, and are
 > profitable and "fair".)  How could that be possible if you can't
 > generate random numbers?

By not showing the process that generates numbers?

What the -- ?? Obviously you have never thought about security.

Look, the sites have to prevent *INSIDERS* from stealing money through
random number generator disclosure. And security by obscurity is
basically *NOT* security. If the numbers have a discernable pattern,
then shrouding the algorithm or implementation is of no help.
[...] For those sites to
work it is sufficient if the numbers already generated give insufficient
information to predict the next number.

First of all, no its not. Because as much as they would like to keep
their algorithms a secret, disgruntled, unscrupulous or bribably
employees exist.
[...] Whether it is a true random,
a pseudo random or not a random sequence at all.  I think a Mersenne
twister with long enough perdiod would be suited perfectly.

MT has a full entropy of about 600 outputs as I recall. That's not
the problem. If the seeding process is deterministic or in other ways
stupid, then you can simply try them out in a brute force manner and
see if the sequence of its outputs match. To make this useful, you
need to fill all the slots of its entropy table (seed) with some
unpredictable start-up pattern, so that all (4 billion)^600 start-up
patterns are possible (with close to even distribution), just to
achieve the full security potential of MT. Even there, because MT has
only had < 10 years of security exposure, you don't know that there
isn't a very simply formula for reverse engineering its state from,
say, 601 of its outputs.

So I think you just don't understand the problem. The peer to peer
approach has the incredible advantage that you can actually, in a very
practical way, cause a reseed to happen well before the 600 outputs,
by forcing the *CLIENTS* to come up with the entropy. The point is
that even if one of the clients could be compromised, or somehow
produces far less entropy than you think, there are plenty of others
plus the server to contend with. So if you do that, then ideally *NO*
approach to attacking its security would be practical short of
installing debuggers on all the clients and the server simultaneously.
[...] Moreover,
I do not think the individual players on such sites even get sufficient
information about the numbers generated so far (in many of those games
distributed cards remain hidden).

That's not the point. Look, just google around for this stuff for a
while and you will see. They take this stuff a lot more seriously
than that.

Nick Keighley

In message <[email protected]

No she made so many mistakes and gaffs and was clearly so far out of her
depth it was quite believable she said "my house"

Actually outside the USA most people took it as a sign from McCain when
he had Palin as his running mate that he did not want to win the
election

actually I wanted him to win. I thought Sarah Palin was funny.

Nick Keighley

    I don't think the UK is dependent of the US.

we seem to happily follow their foreign policy
They have the pound and
will continue [to]. The rest of Europe has that eurodollar

it's not the eurodollar it's the euro
a 50 manual on how to blow your nose.

you are aware that the UK is a member of the European Union?

<snip>

Nick Keighley

Absolutely. But for key generation, they're quite handy. Nevertheless,
one can nearly always select a key for oneself if desired. (For
example, most people choose their logon passwords; we don't normally
generate them randomly.)

VMS had password generation as an option. The generated passwords
were pronouncable- but looked like klingon

jacob navia

Chris H a écrit :
I also wanted McCain/Palin to win

You lost.

And... you know what?

And I am *glad* you lost.

Strange that the "off topic" police doesn't seem to be interested to
step in.

Your political preferences are off topic in this forum.

You lost, together with Keighley, Bush, Palin and all others of
the same intellectual caliber.

Chris H

[QUOTE="jacob navia said:
I also wanted McCain/Palin to win

You lost.
And... you know what?
And I am *glad* you lost.[/QUOTE]

It depends if you are an American. The fact they did not get in was
good for the USA.
Strange that the "off topic" police doesn't seem to be interested to
step in.

I thought that too
Your political preferences are off topic in this forum.
You lost, together with Keighley, Bush, Palin and all others of
the same intellectual caliber.

That is a false assumption I wanted Palin/McCain because it would help
isolate the US even more and hopefully scare the EU into actually
working together more. It would also split the UK from the US.

Obama is more intelligent than Keighley, Bush & Palin put together.
Also his Forigen Secretary is very clever. She has the brains to stop
the EU organising itself better, by dividing opinion.

Dik T. Winter

> I think you are putting the cart before the horse -- hackers *make*
> the information available, because hiding information in a binary is
> just incentive for some of these people.

If you think that distributing an algorithm in a binary is hiding the
algorithm you are wrong. Reverse engineering is not so very difficult.

Seebs

It depends if you are an American. The fact they did not get in was
good for the USA.

I think this is implementation-specific, please take this to a newsgroup
specific to your hardware platform.

-s

Nobody

Absolutely. But for key generation, they're quite handy. Nevertheless,
one can nearly always select a key for oneself if desired. (For
example, most people choose their logon passwords; we don't normally
generate them randomly.)

But passwords aren't normally used directly as encryption keys.

The main exception is where a password is used to protect a private key.
In such cases, they are often used in conjunction with a random, stored
salt, and for the sole purpose of encrypting the real key, which
is generated randomly.

If a key is weak (as one derived from a user-chosen password is likely to
be), the less data that's encrypted with it, the better, and the more
entropy in the plaintext, the better.

Bill Cunningham

you are aware that the UK is a member of the European Union?

<snip>

Was not quite sure. Oh boy. I know the British do not want to devalue
their currency with that euro.