Reference dll from a folder other than bin

D2

Hi,

I am working on an application which have web as well as windows
portions. We have some common dlls that are shared by both windows and
web. To make it more maintainable, we want to place the common dlls in
one folder from where both win/web can reference.

I have noticed that any reference to web projects automatically copies
the dlls in the bin folder and we don;t have an option to say "do not
copy". What are the options to accomplish this (referencing dlls from
a folder other than bin) in asp.net?

scenario is like this:

1) all windows binaries are located in:
c:\program files\my app\bins\

2) all common dlls are located in
c:\program files\my app\bins\common

3) web virtual folder is located at:
c:\inetpub\myweb

To accomplish this, am i forced to use GAC?

regards,
Deepesh

Kevin Spencer

You're not forced to use the GAC, but that would be the best plan, under the
circumstances.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP

Printing Components, Email Components,
http://www.miradyne.net

bruce barker

not really. the Load assembly only looks in the bin or the framework
installation bin folder. at startup asp.net copies the files from the
bin folder to its temp work folder.

the best is what you are doing, let msbuild copy the dll on compile.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)