Reg- Floating point variables

Nithy

Hi,
Can anyone help me in floating point round off error. I have the
code as shown below.

#!/usr/bin/perl
#This program increments the value from x.1 to x.9

$count = 0;
$out = 0;
while($out == 0)
{
print ("count = ",$count,"\n");
$count=$count + 0.1;
if ($count == 0.9)
{
$out=1;
}

If I run this code, it doesn't terminate when $count reach 0.9. Its
keep on increasing. And after 5.9 its showing 5.99999999999999 & so
on..
But If I limits it within 0.8(if $count = 0.1 - 0.7), it gives the
proper output. Why is it so?

Please let me know your suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nithy

smallpond

[...]

Never try to test for exactly equal to a floating point number.
It doesn't work. Floating point numbers are approximate.
Change your code to
if ($count >= 0.9)
--S

Jürgen Exner

Nithy said:
If I run this code, it doesn't terminate when $count reach 0.9. Its
keep on increasing. And after 5.9 its showing 5.99999999999999 & so
on..
But If I limits it within 0.8(if $count = 0.1 - 0.7), it gives the
proper output. Why is it so?

You must have missed "Basics of Computer Numerics":
Thou shalt not test for equal on floating point numbers

'perldoc -q 999' gives a very brief introduction of why using floating point
numbers has it quirks in Perl, too, just like in any other standard
programming language.

jue

Nithy

This is a FAQ. Have a look at:

perldoc -q 999

In a nutshell, some numbers cannot be exactly represented in binary, for
the same reason that numbers such as one-third cannot be exactly represented
in decimal.

For this reason, it's best to avoid direct equality tests on floating-point
numbers. For example, you could rewrite your test of $count to:

if ($count >= 0.9) { ... }

Another common technique is to measure the difference (aka delta) between a
float and a known value, and consider them equal if the delta is small enough:

if (abs(0.9 - $count) < 0.000001) { ... }

For more (much more) detail, have a look at "What every computer scientist
should know about floating-point arithmetic."

<http://docs.sun.com/source/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html>

sherm--

Thanks Sherm..

Nithy

You must have missed "Basics of Computer Numerics":
Thou shalt not test for equal on floating point numbers

'perldoc -q 999' gives a very brief introduction of why using floating point
numbers has it quirks in Perl, too, just like in any other standard
programming language.

jue
Thanks Jue..

Nithy

Never try to test for exactly equal to a floating point number.
It doesn't work. Floating point numbers are approximate.
Change your code to
if ($count >= 0.9)
--S

Thanks for your prompt response Smallpond.