rendering bitmap fonts from ruby

dc

hi!

i need to generate some bitmap headlines + was wondering if there are
any ruby libraries for rendering type to bitmaps?

we have a mixed linux/os-x environment, and getting rmagick running
for everyone looks like a bunch of work. are there any more quick
install gems out there that have less functionality but will allow me
to render a headline in a font + size of my choice to a bitmap (JPG
ideally)?

whats the word on GD library vs imagemagick vis-a-vis playing nice with ruby?

thanks!

/dc

Farrel Lifson

hi!

i need to generate some bitmap headlines + was wondering if there are
any ruby libraries for rendering type to bitmaps?

we have a mixed linux/os-x environment, and getting rmagick running
for everyone looks like a bunch of work. are there any more quick
install gems out there that have less functionality but will allow me
to render a headline in a font + size of my choice to a bitmap (JPG
ideally)?

whats the word on GD library vs imagemagick vis-a-vis playing nice with ruby?

thanks!

/dc
David "DC" Collier
mailto:[email protected]
+81 (0)80 6521 9559
skype: callto://d3ntaku

Although I haven't used it (but I've looked through the docs) RMagick
(Ruby bindings for ImageMagick) seems to be really nice to work with.

Farrel

dc

indeed rmagick looks good, but the install for both mac + linux looks
like a couple hours work. i need to keep a half-dozen different
servers + environments working for this project, (developers in
different countries/OSs) so really looking for something much simpler.

eg a pure ruby library that would just render type to bitmaps...

/dc