Req Help to install IPC::SysV on WinXP + ActiveState Perl

feltra

Hi,

First off, hope this is the right place for this question (or at least
its not the wrong place).

Am trying to understand how to use Shared memory in ActivePerl -
unfortunately AP doesn't seem to support it in its built-in libs.

Trying to download and install IPC::SysV thru CPAN (using ppm) gives
"OS unsupported error". I tried this both from the Cygwin-bash shell
(in which i usually work) and also from the MS-Command window - same
error. The shell displays the envar "OS" as Windows_NT.

My PC config in brief:
HP(Compaq) AMD Athlon LE-1640, 2.41GHz, 1.87G RAM
running MS-WinXP 2002 SP2

I have been able to successfully install ActivePerl and run several of
my programs, so I don't think it's anything to do with Perl per se.

How do I make this package (IPC::SysV) available? OR Should i be
using some other Shared-memory package? What would it be?

Kindly help with any / all pointers, or if more info is needed, please
indicate.
Advance thanks for all the help...

Best Regards,
-feltra

Steve C

feltra said:
[...]

To the best of my knowledge, Windows XP is not a SysV operating system.
The shared memory API that I know of in Windows is shared memory-mapped
files. You might have a look at Win32::SharedFileOpen.

feltra

To the best of my knowledge, Windows XP is not a SysV operating system.
The shared memory API that I know of in Windows is shared memory-mapped
files.  You might have a look at Win32::SharedFileOpen.

Thanks for the response, Steve. You are right. I also know that
WinXP is not SysV OS, but I was hoping that someone had implemented
IPC::SysV for WinXP. Turns out it is not. All I wanted was to use
Shared memory in ActivePerl, and (as you rightly said), the packages
Win32::MMF and Win32::MMF::Shareable (already available in
Activestate) seems to be the way to go... I am studying those now...

Thanks a lot once again & Best Regards,
-feltra