    request 'lib/alter' # like require, but uses the path relative to the
    current file

    ..

    Ilias Lazaridis, Jun 16, 2011

  2. There's only one joke:

    The processes which guide the evolution of the ruby language.

    One could say: "Which processes, there are none."

    Exactly, there are none.

    And this is the joke.

    ..

    Ilias Lazaridis, Jun 16, 2011

  3. You mean like "require_relative" which actually makes more sense than
    your suggestions?

    Matt Harrison, Jun 16, 2011
  4. Especially since "request" sounds to me like "would be nice to have,
    but not really important to my core functionality". Syntactic sugar
    for rescuing a non-critical LoadError, in other words.

    --=20
    Phillip Gawlowski

    =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- Leibnitz

    Phillip Gawlowski, Jun 16, 2011
  5. Yes of cousre, "require_relative"
    "require_relative(_to_this_file)" in a single word, ideally with 7
    chars

    This is the topic.

    Is it really so difficult for you people to solve a given problem,
    even if you personally don't agree that it is a problem?

    -

    locally 'lib/alter' # locally located file
    include 'lib/alter' # the commonly known "include"
    uniload 'lib/alter' # universal load

    request 'lib/alter' # like require_relative, but uses the path
    relative to the current file

    one more

    relative 'lib/alter' #

    ..

    Ilias Lazaridis, Jun 16, 2011
  6. [...]

    I agree.

    Additionally, "request" brings up the http request stuff.

    So it looks "request" is invalid, too.

    ..

    Ilias Lazaridis, Jun 16, 2011
  7. You don't seem to understand that you are arguing against the
    descriptive nature of the "require_relevant" method name, yet in your
    own words above you use those two words to describe it. This in itself
    proves that the method name works, is sensible and suitably descriptive.

    As said before, this isn't going to change. If you don't like it, or
    your "project manager" doesn't like it, then alias it and be done.

    If this really was the requirement of a project manager, I'd hope he
    realised he's wasted the resources in having you argue this non-issue.

    Matt Harrison, Jun 16, 2011
  8. On Ilias:

    "[Ilias] soon started posting long tirades where he `proved' that the
    CL standard requires various behaviour, while completely ignoring the
    detailed rebuttals of his `proofs'. An example is the long series of
    articles where he `proves' that merely copying the syntax of #\( and
    #\) to, say #\[ and #\] should cause [ ... ] to be legal syntax,
    despite multiple explanations by four or more people of why this
    cannot work. He has also a number of other strange ideas, mostly
    syntactic in nature - for instance he doesn't like the . in
    dotted-list syntax, and doesn't understand how the , unquoteing syntax
    works, and has argued, again, that the standard implies things that
    mean that no implementation is conforming."

    And:

    "He is obsessed by the minutiae of syntax and apparently uninterested
    in actually writing programs - he needs to invent some `perfect'
    language before he can do anything, and he's starting with the syntax.
    It seems quite likely that he's just trying to avoid doing anything at
    all by endlessly fiddling with syntax."

    Now *that* sounds familiar, doesn't it?

    From: http://www.tfeb.org/lisp/mad-people.html

    To cut a long story short: Ilias can't program, won't program, and is
    a liability to everyone, particularly his "clients". Until proven
    otherwise, Ilias claimed experience in coding is n x 1 year of actual
    experience, if that.

    Phillip Gawlowski, Jun 16, 2011
  9. He's admitted that the "project manager" is a hypothetical one. In other
    words, it's a strawman argument. (or more aptly a sock puppet?)

    Matthew K. Williams, Jun 16, 2011
  10. Naw, a sock puppet would require Ilias to be clever enough to create a
    persona that posts this requirement and/or supports his harebrained
    schemes.

    Phillip Gawlowski, Jun 16, 2011
  11. [...] - (off-context babbing)

    REQUOTE:

    ""require_relative(_to_this_file)" in a single word, ideally with 7
    chars

    This is the topic.

    Is it really so difficult for you people to solve a given problem,
    even if you personally don't agree that it is a problem?
    "

    It seems that it's just to difficult.

    ..

    Ilias Lazaridis, Jun 16, 2011
  12. This is rude. You don't have to quote it if you don't want, but calling
    it babbling? Rude.
    You know, this was solved days ago via an alias, but that wasn't good
    enough for you. Moreover, you're rude to people.

    Enough. Killfile time.

    Matt

    Matthew K. Williams, Jun 16, 2011
  13. alias abcdefg require_relative

    This does not solve it, I need the concise word.
    Of course. I'm rude, and the freak-show that

    a) has hijacked the thread at the beginning
    b) continues with off-topic comments and start again to become
    personal.

    those are not rude, but civilized.
    At least you know how to use filters.
    ..

    Ilias Lazaridis, Jun 16, 2011
  14. Then this is the wrong list. ruby-talk does not exist to cover prose or
    literary matters. What you need is a thesaurus.

    Matt Harrison, Jun 16, 2011
  15. This is the correct list for my request.

    What I need is, just a few more professionals with have the ability to
    stay strictly in topic, or to shut up.

    But I guess I have to give up the hope that some will pop up.

    ..

    Ilias Lazaridis, Jun 16, 2011
  16.
    Jason Roelofs, Jun 16, 2011
  17. time here.

    If it wouldn't set a bad precedent, I'd be arguing to simply *ban*
    Ilias, nd be done with it. He's gone above and beyond the call of duty
    as a troll. He could get the Trollish Medal of Honor, as far as I am
    concerned.

    As it is, I'm sorely wishing GMail could filter individual messages in
    conversation view--disabling conversations isn't a workable solution,
    and I don't always have access to an email client, much less one that
    supports filtering. Alas.

    Phillip Gawlowski, Jun 16, 2011
  18. How disappointing.

    One more off-topic.

    And just *one* (yes, just *one*) in-topic and in-context reply
    (suggesting a word) in the overall thread.

    A tragedy.

    ..

    Ilias Lazaridis, Jun 16, 2011
  19. The "Trollish Medal of Honor" goes to the self-proclaimed "Ruby Talk
    Police".

    You are the ones which are "trolling" (off-topic, hijacking threads,
    personal nonsense, ridiculous and *endless* babbling subjecting an
    individuals personal writing style).

    But I start to believe that finally this *is* the ruby community
    (because until now, I saw only 2 people intervene, with not more than
    3 messages).
    Why don't you simply relay my messages to the trash?

    "More actions"
    "Filter messages like these"

    or

    "More actions"
    "Mute"

    (I write only in my topics, thus it's easy for everyone to place a
    filter (based on topic title).)

    ..

    Ilias Lazaridis, Jun 16, 2011
  20. Ilias Lazaridis

    Joe Peric Guest

    Hey everyone.

    I'm new to Ruby and finding the language pretty neat.

    I think this might help in solving Ilias' problem of finding a word:

    enum =3D ('aaaaaaa'..'zzzzzzz').to_enum

    enum.each do |word|
    puts word + "\n"
    end

    He can go through each one and find what he likes.

    You're welcome. ;)

    Joe Peric, Jun 16, 2011