Rich Graphics?

Chris Spencer

I'm trying to write a Gui in Python for manipulating rich graphical
representations, similar to something like Inkscape. I've tried tkinter,
wxPython, pyGtk, and while they all do traditional widgets well enough,
none of them really handle anti-aliased, transparent, transformed shapes
typical of vector based displays. I've noticed tkZinc, which seems to
better handle vector graphics through the use of openGL, but it's
traditional widget set is still limited and based on tkinter. Ideally,
what I'm looking for is something like wxWidgets which can display SVG
along side standard widgets and allow there manipulation through Python.
I was thinking of a web-based route, by accessing the SVG capabilities
in Mozilla's Deer Park browser through Twisted+Livepage, but this has
been extremely complicated and limiting. Are there any other options I
haven't considered?

Sincerely,
Chris

Daniel Dittmar

Chris said:
[...]

maybe PyGame: http://www.pygame.org/, although it might be lacking in
the standard widget department.

Daniel

Bernhard Herzog

Chris Spencer said:
I'm trying to write a Gui in Python for manipulating rich graphical
representations, similar to something like Inkscape. I've tried tkinter,
wxPython, pyGtk, and while they all do traditional widgets well enough,
none of them really handle anti-aliased, transparent, transformed shapes
typical of vector based displays.

You may want to have a look at Skencil (see my .sig for a URL). The CVS
version does have anti-aliasing and some simple translucency. It
doesn't support all of SVG yet, though.

Bernhard