Root URL

Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software]

Hi all

I am using XP64 professional edition + VS2005.

I am writing a website that consumes a webservice (also written by me, and
will reside on the same domain).

At the moment I am starting the service at localhost:80/WebService and the
site at localhost:8080/WebSiteName

I'd like to work with absolute paths in both my html and CSS but the
"/WebSiteName" part is messing it up for me. Is there a way to get VS to
drop that part of the URL?

Finally, once I install IIS how do I get ASP .net 2 installed for it?
Whenever I run "aspnet_regiis -i" I am told that it is for a 32bit version
of IIS (and mine is obviously 64 bit).

Thanks

Pete

Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software]

Is there really no solution to this problem? I find it is a very poor
approach and I am very disappointed that there is no alternative!

Pete

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Finally, once I install IIS how do I get ASP .net 2 installed for it? Whenever I run
"aspnet_regiis -i" I am told that it is for a 32bit version of IIS (and mine is obviously 64 bit).

You need to uninstall the 32-bit version of the .Net Framework, and install the 64-bit version.

Don't just run aspnet_regiis -u
Uninstall the .Net Framework using Windows Add/Remove programs.

Get the 64-bit version of the .Net Framework from :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/updates/default.aspx

Notice that there's TWO 64-bit versions. Download the correct one for your hardware.

re:
I'd like to work with absolute paths Is there a way to get VS to drop that part of the URL?

There's very precise instructions on how to do that in Scott Guthrie's blog :

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/21/431138.aspx

Juan T. Llibre

Deeptanshuv's blog answers your question :

http://blogs.msdn.com/deeptanshuv/

The answer is yes.

(a) There are two flavours of 64-bit - AMD64 or X64, and IA64.
Windows 64-bit installs on both architectures.

(b) There is no 64-bit version of VS. Visual Studio 2005 is available only as a 32-bit app.
However, you CAN install VS on a 64-bit OS and use it to create, launch and debug 64-bit apps.

(c) VS will install only on X64.

The .Net Framework and the Debugger components install on IA64, allowing you to remotely
launch and debug applications on IA64 from a VS IDE installed on another machine.

(d) VS installed on either 32-bit or 64-bit OS can create 32-bit or 64-bit applications,
but of course the applications need the corresponding platform to execute.

(e) You need the Professional or Team System versions to build X64 (AMD64) apps.

(f) You need Team System to build IA64 apps. Pro does not support this.
See : http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hs24szh9(VS.80).aspx