round() wrong in Python 2.4?

Nils Grimsmo

Why did round() change in Python 2.4?

$ python2.3
Python 2.3.5 (#2, Jun 19 2005, 13:28:00)
[GCC 3.3.6 (Debian 1:3.3.6-6)] on linux2$ python2.4
Python 2.4.1 (#2, Jul 12 2005, 09:22:25)
[GCC 4.0.1 (Debian 4.0.1-1)] on linux2
(Is this due to the different GCC used?)

How do you correctly output floating-point numbers in 2.4?

I do not like the "print number + EPS" solution, as you would need
different EPS for different exponent sizes. In C you could get it by
taking integer 1, and &-ing in the right exponent, and then casting to
double via void*. This would not be very portable, though.

Klem fra Nils

Jeremy Sanders

Nils said:
Why did round() change in Python 2.4?

It the usual floating point representation problem. 0.0225 cannot be
represented exactly:

xpc20:~> python
Python 2.3.4 (#1, Mar 14 2005, 16:47:22)
[GCC 3.4.3 20041212 (Red Hat 3.4.3-9.EL4)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.0.022499999999999999

See
http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/node13.html#SECTION0013800000000000000000

If you need exact maths, then you're better off using integers or decimal
arithmetic.

Jeremy

Robert Kern

Jeremy said:
It the usual floating point representation problem. 0.0225 cannot be
represented exactly:

That's not what he's asking about. He's asking why his Python 2.3 rounds
0.0225 *up* to 0.023 while his Python 2.4 rounds *down* to 0.022. It's
the change in behavior that he's concerned with and isn't just the usual
floating point problem.

I'm going to suggest that it's a platform issue, possibly the change in
compiler. I get identical results on OS X with both versions of Python
both compiled by gcc-3.3 .

[~]$ python2.3
Python 2.3.5 (#1, Mar 20 2005, 20:38:20)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1809)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.[~]$ python2.4
Python 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 31 2005, 00:05:10)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)] on darwin
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Sion Arrowsmith

Nils Grimsmo said:
Why did round() change in Python 2.4?

$ python2.3
Python 2.3.5 (#2, Jun 19 2005, 13:28:00)
[GCC 3.3.6 (Debian 1:3.3.6-6)] on linux2$ python2.4
Python 2.4.1 (#2, Jul 12 2005, 09:22:25)
[GCC 4.0.1 (Debian 4.0.1-1)] on linux2
(Is this due to the different GCC used?)

That would look like a good guess to me:

$ python
Python 2.4.1 (#2, May 5 2005, 11:32:06)
[GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-12)] on linux2
Is that python2.4 of yours from the python2.4 package or one
you compiled up yourself?

Nils Grimsmo

I am running Debian unstable for 386. Python 2.4 is from the official
package archive, and seems to be compiled with GCC 4.0.2.

$ dpkg -l python2.4
ii python2.4 2.4.1-4 ...

$ python2.4
Python 2.4.1+ (#2, Sep 4 2005, 21:58:51)
[GCC 4.0.2 20050821 (prerelease) (Debian 4.0.1-6)] on linux2
$ gcc-4.0 --version
gcc-4.0 (GCC) 4.0.2 20050725 (prerelease) (Debian 4.0.1-3)

Klem fra Nils

Jeremy Sanders

Robert said:
That's not what he's asking about. He's asking why his Python 2.3 rounds
0.0225 *up* to 0.023 while his Python 2.4 rounds *down* to 0.022. It's
the change in behavior that he's concerned with and isn't just the usual
floating point problem.

You can't rely on either being true, given the nature of the inexact
representation of the number, and the fact that python ignores quite a lot
of the IEEE stuff. Different optimisations (particularly with the 80 bit
floating point registers in x86), will lead to different represenations.
Any code which relies on a particular behaviour is broken.

Jeremy

Antoon Pardon

Op 2005-09-13 said:
That's not what he's asking about. He's asking why his Python 2.3 rounds
0.0225 *up* to 0.023 while his Python 2.4 rounds *down* to 0.022. It's
the change in behavior that he's concerned with and isn't just the usual
floating point problem.

I would say the usual floating point problem is involved.

Python 2.3 isn't rounding 0.0225 up while pyton 2.4 rounds it down.

0.0225 isn't representable and it happens that the actual number
you get differ. Now which number python should choose when it is
fed 0.0225, I don't know. But expressing the different behaviour
as a change in round, suggest that the O.P. would be wise to
learn about floating point problems

Robert Kern

Antoon said:
I would say the usual floating point problem is involved.

Python 2.3 isn't rounding 0.0225 up while pyton 2.4 rounds it down.

0.0225 isn't representable and it happens that the actual number
you get differ. Now which number python should choose when it is
fed 0.0225, I don't know. But expressing the different behaviour
as a change in round, suggest that the O.P. would be wise to
learn about floating point problems

Uhh, Python didn't change anything between 2.3 and 2.4 wrt round(). The
reason he is seeing a difference is because the two executables were
built with different compilers. The fact that the version of Python was
different in the two cases obscures the real cause.

Saying that 0.0225 can't be represented exactly as a binary floating
point number is entirely true but is an incomplete answer. Yes,
obviously binary floating point representations are involved. But one
could always define a standard representation scheme that always gives
the same answer for the same input. The fact is that for some reason
there are two schemes being used. Another fact is that this has nothing
to do with difference in the versions of Python he is using. Most of
Python's floating point behavior is a platform-dependent accident (as
Tim Peters always says), and Nils is using two slightly different platforms.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Grant Edwards

Antoon Pardon wrote:

Uhh, Python didn't change anything between 2.3 and 2.4 wrt round().

That's what Antoon Pardon just said. The above paragraph says
that round() didn't change, and the fact that the OP thinks it
did indicates that the OP needs to learn more about FP.

Magnus Lycka

Nils said:
(Is this due to the different GCC used?)

Yes, but there are probably other nasty values with the
other CGG. Basically, what the code does, for a positive
number, is to calculate floor(0.0225*1000.0+0.5)/1000.0.

As others have said: Don't trust this. If you use Python 2.4,
you can take advantage of the new decimal module, where no
floating point calculations are involved.

I tried with Python 2.2.3 on RH EL3, and for half a million
tested values that ended with 5 in the 4th decimal and used
ndigits=3, I got almost 3000 where it rounded towards zero,
and not towards infinity as the docs say. I.e. almost 0.6%
wrong.

Here is a more direct description of the problem in my system:4095.0

Your 2.4 system is still strange though. I tried the
program below on a range of systems: RH Linux, HP-UX,
AIX, Solaris, on Sparc, PowerPC, PA-RISC, Intel Pentium
and AMD 64, and they always gave the same results with
Python 2.2.3 or Python 2.3.1.

Program:

for N in (1000,2000,3000,5000,10000,100000,1000000):
buggy=0
for i in range(1,N,2):
f=i/2000.0
r=round(f,3)
if r<f:
buggy+=1
print "%7i %10f %5i %f%%" % (N/2,f,buggy,buggy*200./N)

Consistent output:

500 0.499500 0 0.000000%
1000 0.999500 12 1.200000%
1500 1.499500 12 0.800000%
2500 2.499500 24 0.960000%
5000 4.999500 47 0.940000%
50000 49.999500 369 0.738000%
500000 499.999500 2950 0.590000%

So, while N*1000.0 + 0.5 might sometimes be a little less than
an integer, even though N is an odd integer divided with 2000.0,
it seems that machines handling IEEE floating point numbers
agree about which numbers are affected, and 0.0225 should not
be a problem number:0.023

There have been problems with GCC's float() before though...
http://lists.debian.org/debian-gcc/2002/04/msg00056.html
How do you correctly output floating-point numbers in 2.4?

There is no change here.
0.023 => 0.023 and 0.022 => 0.021999999999999999
in different Python versions. Use str() or %s etc.

BTW, the C source code looks like this:

static PyObject *
builtin_round(PyObject *self, PyObject *args)
{
double x;
double f;
int ndigits = 0;
int i;

if (!PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "d|i:round", &x, &ndigits))
return NULL;
f = 1.0;
i = abs(ndigits);
while (--i >= 0)
f = f*10.0;
if (ndigits < 0)
x /= f;
else
x *= f;
if (x >= 0.0)
x = floor(x + 0.5);
else
x = ceil(x - 0.5);
if (ndigits < 0)
x *= f;
else
x /= f;
return PyFloat_FromDouble(x);
}

Perhaps one could argue that the code should be changed to
if (x >= 0.0)
x = floor(x + d + 0.5);
else
x = ceil(x - d - 0.5);
where d is a fairly small number, but this doesn't help in
the long run... For large enough floating point numbers,
the resolution of the floating point system gets bigger than
1! It might well be possible to make a round() function that
works just right in e.g. business accounting applications, where
money ranges between perhaps 0.01 and 1,000,000,000,000.00, but
it's much more difficult to make such a thing work for the
standard library, where we might want to use the whole range
available to floats.

Robert Kern

Grant said:
That's what Antoon Pardon just said. The above paragraph says
that round() didn't change, and the fact that the OP thinks it
did indicates that the OP needs to learn more about FP.

Antoon:
"Python 2.3 isn't rounding 0.0225 up while pyton 2.4 rounds it down."

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Reinhold Birkenfeld

Robert said:
Antoon:
"Python 2.3 isn't rounding 0.0225 up while pyton 2.4 rounds it down."

Written in Pseudocode:

not (Py2.3 rounding up and Py2.4 rounding down)

Reinhold

Robert Kern

Reinhold said:
Robert Kern wrote:

Written in Pseudocode:

not (Py2.3 rounding up and Py2.4 rounding down)

I presumed the "isn't" was a typo given the "while."

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Robert Kern

Robert said:
I presumed the "isn't" was a typo given the "while."

Oh never mind. I'm sorry I started this line of conversation.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Antoon Pardon

Op 2005-09-14 said:
Uhh, Python didn't change anything between 2.3 and 2.4 wrt round().

That is what I said, or at least meant to say.
The
reason he is seeing a difference is because the two executables were
built with different compilers. The fact that the version of Python was
different in the two cases obscures the real cause.

IMO the real cause is unimportant. The real cause can be a different
CPU or a different compilor or a different library. What it boils
down to is that you can't expect 0,0225 to be represented in a
value that will be rounded up.
Saying that 0.0225 can't be represented exactly as a binary floating
point number is entirely true but is an incomplete answer. Yes,
obviously binary floating point representations are involved. But one
could always define a standard representation scheme that always gives
the same answer for the same input.

Can we? I don't think we can, unless you are working with decimal
numbers. If you work with floats you are basically saying that
the program should choose the best approximation it can. That
approximation can differ according to circumstances. So one
must be prepared that round(0.225,3) can give different results
in different circumstances.
The fact is that for some reason
there are two schemes being used. Another fact is that this has nothing
to do with difference in the versions of Python he is using. Most of
Python's floating point behavior is a platform-dependent accident (as
Tim Peters always says), and Nils is using two slightly different platforms.

Yes and he wouldn't have blamed it on round, had he known or thought
about FP representations.