ruby 1.8.2 compile warning

Chris Newman

------_=_NextPart_001_01C52FF9.A8EAFFA4

I'm getting a warning when compiling ruby 1.8.2 from source on Solaris 8.

Here's the message...

In file included from ../../ruby.h:21,
from bigdecimal.c:23:
../../config.h:16: warning: `_FILE_OFFSET_BITS' redefined
/usr/include/sys/feature_tests.h:96: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition

I looked at both definitions. The one in feature_tests.h is 32. The one in
the local ruby source config.h is 64.

Ruby appears to build successfully. Should I be concerned about this? Any
ideas as to how this constant is used? it sounds pretty important to me.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

------_=_NextPart_001_01C52FF9.A8EAFFA4--

Charles Mills

Chris said:
I'm getting a warning when compiling ruby 1.8.2 from source on Solaris 8.

Here's the message...

In file included from ../../ruby.h:21,
from bigdecimal.c:23:
./../config.h:16: warning: `_FILE_OFFSET_BITS' redefined
/usr/include/sys/feature_tests.h:96: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition

I looked at both definitions. The one in feature_tests.h is 32. The one in
the local ruby source config.h is 64.

Ruby appears to build successfully. Should I be concerned about this? Any
ideas as to how this constant is used? it sounds pretty important to me.
It is used to determine the size of off_t.

It probably won't be a problem in this instance, because bigdecimal.c
does not use seek, or anything like that. But it is a bug. If you
look at the top of bigdecimal.c ruby.h should be included before
ctype.h and all the other headers.

-Charlie