Ruby and GTK

Peter

Hi,

Ruby supports some interface to GTK, but from the FAQ it is unclear to
which extent. Older documentation at rubygarden.org mentions that a port
to GTK 2.0 is to be implemented.

Fortunately Ruby is able to use the GTK-server package as well
(http://www.gtk-server.org/). It runs with the preferred STDIN
interface. The GTK-server provides almost unlimited access to graphical
user interfaces using GTK. Due to the design of the GTK-server any GTK
version can be used.

Demoprograms with Ruby can be found at the examples section.

Regards

Peter

Paul van Tilburg

Ruby supports some interface to GTK, but from the FAQ it is unclear to
which extent. Older documentation at rubygarden.org mentions that a port
to GTK 2.0 is to be implemented.

The Ruby/GTK bindings for GTK 2.0 fall under the Ruby/GNOME2 project,
see the project page at: http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/
(hmm, which seems to have a broken Hiki setup right at this moment).

IMO great bindings.. had to switch back (yes, back) to PyGTK last week,
one can see again how nice Ruby/GNOME2 is, bound with care :)

Paul
[/QUOTE]

Joao Pedrosa

Ruby supports some interface to GTK, but from the FAQ it is unclear to
which extent. Older documentation at rubygarden.org mentions that a port
to GTK 2.0 is to be implemented.

Fortunately Ruby is able to use the GTK-server package as well
(http://www.gtk-server.org/). It runs with the preferred STDIN
interface. The GTK-server provides almost unlimited access to graphical
user interfaces using GTK. Due to the design of the GTK-server any GTK
version can be used.

Demoprograms with Ruby can be found at the examples section.

This is cool, but I use the standard Ruby-GNOME2 bindings, which
provide Ruby-GTK2 bindings as well. As I have some screenshots on the
Web, I feel I can show you what's possible with the Ruby-GNOME2
bindings:

1. Very simple and custom editor:
http://ruby.com.br/~pedrosa/ruby_editor.png

2. Very simple and custom IRC client:
http://ruby.com.br/~pedrosa/irconnector.png

3. Very simple and custom Master-Detail table editor:
http://ruby.com.br/~pedrosa/escolas.png

4. Very simple and custom Chess PGN viewer:
http://ruby.com.br/~pedrosa/chess.png

5. Very simple and custom Joel on Software sincronization program:
http://ruby.com.br/~pedrosa/jos_offline.png

(None of these are available for download, sorry. :))

I have more of these, because the Ruby-GNOME2 is very good to base
some tools on it -- it supports Windows and Linux seamlessly.

Those GTK+ Mozilla bindings could be handy, too. But I'm yet to give it a try.

Cheers,
Joao

Randy Kramer

(None of these are available for download, sorry. :))

Why (just curious)--is it because they are proprietary in some sense, you
don't intend to distribute them, or you just don't have or haven't set up a
means to make them available for download?

regards,
Randy Kramer

Joao Pedrosa

Hi,

Why (just curious)--is it because they are proprietary in some sense, you
don't intend to distribute them, or you just don't have or haven't set up a
means to make them available for download?

In the future I might release some libs as open-source, but I don't
plan to do that right now. These programs depend on such libs. :)

Cheers,
Joao