Ruby and IDE

Stefan Lang

As it's a Kate part you can use it in KDevelop as well as Kate. I haven't
tried it though - I don't know if it has ruby syntax highlighting.

It has the same syntax highlighting files as Kate, including one for Ruby.
-- Richard

Stefan

llothar

Oh i can think about a lot more. A good profiler for speed and memory
is necessary. Code coverage also, especially when integrated together
with unit testing. Project based settings are important. Good version
control integration and a much improved irb. Better handling of
multiple files (when you have 300 files in a project editors become
very hard to use). Interation of a HTTP testing framework and a lot of
other things....

Ruben

At said:
I try to keep an open mind about trying new things all the time. But
I tried to use Emacs for two days and my wrists and hands hurt SOOO
bad that I had to go back to vim.

I've heard before that some people have this problem...
Do you have to bind the ctrl key to the caps lock key in order to use
Emacs over a long period of time?

No, I never did that. I've read that some people do that, but I never
felt the need for that; I never had any problems with my wrists.
Also, for most shortcuts I'm using the right Ctrl-key instead of the
left one, maybe that helps (since I'm using both hands instead of
one).

Ruben

tony summerfelt

What's so scary about lisp code? Wanna show me some vim-script?

personally i don't think it's scary... i don't really have a problem
with vimscript either
This is indeed great, the downside however is that on some
distributions, probably not all those languages will be enabled by
default

there's a good chance that NONE of them will be. on linux that's not
really a problem, i think most intermediate linux users could easily
compile vim with perl (or the others) enabled...

on windows it's much easier to google around till you find vim with
the language you want already compiled in...but it's not that
difficult to compile in windows either...
vimscript is the only way to be sure that your extensions will run
everywhere.

i wasn't thinking of distributing extensions. i was thinking of the
programmer using vim extending the editor him/herself in the language
(probably) already being used ie. ruby.

if for some reason i thought my vim extension should be distributed,
i'd make the proper vim exe available anyway...
Right, right.... but an experienced emacs user would probably just do
C-5 C-k. Which is for me faster than first switching mode in vim
(Esc), then do the 5dd, then switching back to insert mode (i).

i'm just guessing here, but i think most vim users switch in and out
of the various modes less then one would think...

combo commands i tend to use in frequently that require command mode,
i've already mapped to something else...

very rarely do i have to hit esc. other vim users' mileage may very...
I use Emacs most of the time, but I regularly use vi(m) for editing
config files.

i was a die hard emacs user until i had to work on other linux
boxes...to make my life easier i just bit the bullet and learned vim
because i knew some version of it would be on the system... of course
once i learned vim i didn't really need emacs anymore. i do have a few
emacs like editors installed though (microemacs, jed) just in case i
get the urge :)

I think the most important thing is that *you* can work
efficiently with the tools *you* use, whether your editor is Emacs,
Vi(m), a full-blown IDE...

true enough...i was mainly thinking from the newbies point of view
when thinking of the choice to use an editor or an ide

20 years ago we had an ide for just about every dos language (turbo
pascal, turbo c, quickbasic, etc) you got used to it... which is
probably why plugins for various ide's like eclipse, jedit, are
popular now...

having said all that, i use komodo for my ruby programming beyond 100
lines or so. if i need to debug beyond 'print statements' i fire up
freeride.

tony summerfelt

Err, in emacs to delete 5 lines i would type: C-u 5 c-k, which isn't
much longer than <Escape>5dd :)

it's not the length so much as it's the hand and finger contortions.
the example in question isn't that bad, but i've had to do worse...
with vim your hands don't have to travel far from the home row...
<esc> would of course be typed with ctrl-[

if one is a touch-typist, vim makes you very efficient at editing text...

William Morgan

Excerpts from Tom Nakamura's mail of 29 Apr 2005 (EDT):
what features do a "properly embedded shell" have that a simple
"screen"-split at console (or simply multiple windows open) do not?
I'm not being sarcastic, i just want to know what i could be
missing...

For languages with an interactive environment (like Ruby (irb) and R), a
good Emacs mode will let you run the environment in a split screen with
the code you're editing, and will make it easy to dump the current
line/selection/function into the environment.

I haven't figured out how to do this with Ruby yet, but with R I just
hit C-c M-f and whatever function the cursor is currently in gets dumped
into the interactive environment and evaluated. Makes debugging easy.

Michael Campbell

if one is a touch-typist, vim makes you very efficient at editing text...

And if all you want to do is edit text, vi(m) is a fine editor.

Emacs big win is that it does so, so much more. It's like debating
your clock vs. your computer because you can tell the current time
with both.

And, I apologize for adding to this way too off topic thread.

mark sparshatt

William said:
Excerpts from Tom Nakamura's mail of 29 Apr 2005 (EDT):

For languages with an interactive environment (like Ruby (irb) and R), a
good Emacs mode will let you run the environment in a split screen with
the code you're editing, and will make it easy to dump the current
line/selection/function into the environment.

I haven't figured out how to do this with Ruby yet, but with R I just
hit C-c M-f and whatever function the cursor is currently in gets dumped
into the interactive environment and evaluated. Makes debugging easy.

You can do this using inf-ruby.el

When in ruby mode it adds a command run-ruby which runs irb in a sub
window and then allows you to copy code into it.

HTH

William Morgan

Excerpts from (e-mail address removed)'s mail of 29 Apr 2005 (EDT):
this also has the advatange that you can login to the machine from
another host (when you go home for instance) and re-attach to your
screen and you'll be exactly where you were in your vim session
before. this one is tough to do in an ide!

Well now. This is about the most useful thing I've seen all year.
Thanks, Ara!

Ara.T.Howard

Excerpts from (e-mail address removed)'s mail of 29 Apr 2005 (EDT):

Well now. This is about the most useful thing I've seen all year. Thanks,
Ara!

no problem - my sysad actually showed it to me. i don't know how i ever lived
without it!

cheers.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| renunciation is not getting rid of the things of this world, but accepting
| that they pass away. --aitken roshi

Lyndon Samson

And if all you want to do is edit text, vi(m) is a fine editor.

Emacs big win is that it does so, so much more. It's like debating
your clock vs. your computer because you can tell the current time

Huh? http://www.vim.org/scripts/index.php Maybe not on a par with
emacs, but pretty impressive, and you can script it with ruby, so it
kicks emacs ass all over the place for that.

I've disliked the whole Wordstar/Ctrl Key paradigm even since I got
trapped in such an editor on a 1200/75 dialup modem connection once
many years ago...scary :)

Aredridel

One feature i find vi/nvi/vim/whatever is lacking is the ability to have
an interactive shell inside a buffer, i can be in
one xemacs session, and C-X2-C-Xo m-x shell and i have a command prompt
sitting right there, which i can even copy and paste from. I've never
found a way to do this in vi, and i find it much more productive to be
able to do everything from one terminal than constantly switching
backwards and forwards between processes. Just my $0.02 :)

That's what C-z is for!

Ari

tony summerfelt

And if all you want to do is edit text, vi(m) is a fine editor.

all my code is text so yes, i want to edit it efficiently.

it did occurr to me though that people might not know what
'touch-typist' meant.
Emacs big win is that it does so, so much more.

true enough. i don't want my editor checking my email, just editing
text shaped like code.
t's like debating your clock vs. your computer because you can tell
the current time with both.

most people don't want a computer on their wrist though :)

i DO have emacs set up with w3, reading newsgroups, email, gdb,
etc...because i COULD :) i just don't use it that often