Ruby and Oracle on Win XP

Laurent

Hello,

I'm currently trying to make run a Rails webapp over Oracle XE (Express
Edition 10g)

I started to :
Install Ruby 1.8.5 (One Click Installer) for Windows
Install Rails 1.1.6
Install ruby-oci8 (Windows ruby script)

Then i setup the database.yml in my web app as the following:

development:
adapter: oci
host: localhost/xe
username: rails_dev
password: secret

While generating a model : script/generate model product
I get the error:

C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/active_record/conne
ction_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:194:in
`establish_connection
': development database is not configured
(ActiveRecord::AdapterNotSpecified)
from C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/active
_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:185:in
`establi
sh_connection'

Has anyone already seen this kind of error...
I have several Oracle Homes on my system, but i've set before the
ORACLE_HOME pointing to the Oracle XE database home.

Any idea?

Laurent

Wilson Bilkovich

[...]

adapter: oci still works, but it is supposedly deprecated. They want
us to use "adapter: oracle" these days. I doubt that's your problem,
though.

I recommend setting up your connection information in TNSNAMES.ORA,
and then using the SID name you defined there on the 'host' line.
So, if your sid is BLAH_DEV, you would have host: BLAH_DEV

Parts of this look a little out of date, but it may still help:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/Oracle

Stay the course, though, because Oracle and Ruby work fine together on XP.

Michael A. Schoen

Laurent said:
Then i setup the database.yml in my web app as the following:

development:
adapter: oci
host: localhost/xe
username: rails_dev
password: secret

Did the spacing get munged above, or is that really what it looks like?
The attributes of the development configuration should be indented, as in:

development:
adapter: oracle
host: ...
username: ...
password: ...

Jaypee

Laurent a écrit :
[...]

Hello Laurent,
There is a short tutorial on Oracle Technology Network:
<http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/haefel-oracle-ruby.html>
It might help.
Jean-Pierre

Takehiro Kubo

Hi,
': development database is not configured
(ActiveRecord::AdapterNotSpecified)

The error class is an ActiveRecord::AdapterNotSpecified.
It looks like a database.yml parsing error.

Does the following ruby code run?

ruby -r pp -r yaml -e "pp
YAML::load(File.read('config/database.yml'))"