ruby documentation browsing

gmarik

Hi!

I'm new to ruby, and Ruby rox.

Being a new to Ruby i constantly look into documentation to get help
and so on, but i don't like the way i'm doing it now.

So for gems there's gem server - well it works for me just enough.
For the rest of documentation there's ri.

But what'd like to have is something like gem_server for core ruby
documentation, as it's more convenient for newcomers like me I think.
Documentation can be browsed easily, instead of 'guessing'(ri-like
style)

So does anyone know something that "acts like gem_server" :) for core
ruby docs?
Thanks!

lists

Hi!

I'm new to ruby, and Ruby rox.

Being a new to Ruby i constantly look into documentation to get help
and so on, but i don't like the way i'm doing it now.

So for gems there's gem server - well it works for me just enough.
For the rest of documentation there's ri.

But what'd like to have is something like gem_server for core ruby
documentation, as it's more convenient for newcomers like me I think.
Documentation can be browsed easily, instead of 'guessing'(ri-like
style)

So does anyone know something that "acts like gem_server" :) for core
ruby docs?
Thanks!

I like fxri: http://rubyforge.org/projects/fxri/ It's basically a GUI
searchable interface to Ri with a builtin irb.

Jan Svitok

Hi!

I'm new to ruby, and Ruby rox.

Being a new to Ruby i constantly look into documentation to get help
and so on, but i don't like the way i'm doing it now.

So for gems there's gem server - well it works for me just enough.
For the rest of documentation there's ri.

But what'd like to have is something like gem_server for core ruby
documentation, as it's more convenient for newcomers like me I think.
Documentation can be browsed easily, instead of 'guessing'(ri-like
style)

So does anyone know something that "acts like gem_server" :) for core
ruby docs?
Thanks!

If you run RDoc on the ruby sources, you'll most probably get what you
can see on ruby-doc.org/core. Just generate the docs, and point your
browser to the appropriate files.

(you'll need to specify -od rdoc because doc is already taken)