Ruby equivalent of Lex (or Flex)?

Tom Payne

I'm interested in writing compilers in Ruby. It appears that Racc is
a suitable replacement for Yacc, but I've not found any replacement
for Lex. I've probably missed something. In any case, I'd much
appreciate some help in finding something.

Thanks in advance,
Tom Payne

Doug H

Two popular parser generators have or will have ruby support:

ANTLR 3.0 (still in alpha and likely to remain so for another year or
two) will have ruby support too apparently:
http://split-s.blogspot.com/2005/12/antlr-for-ruby.html
They are even working on an antlr 3.0 grammar for ruby itself:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubygrammar

Also (not in alpha), there is a ruby version of Coco:
http://www.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/Research/Projects/Coco/
http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/CocoR/
http://rubyforge.org/projects/coco-ruby/