ruby executable

Derek Haskin

does any know if there are tools to produce native executables from ruby
scripts so that ruby is not required to be installed on machines where you
run ruby scripts/executables.

derek.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such a case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone on (03) 9612-6999 or (61) 3 9612-6999.
Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Transurban Limited and CityLink Melbourne Limited shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by them.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

James Britt

Derek said:
does any know if there are tools to produce native executables from ruby
scripts so that ruby is not required to be installed on machines where you
run ruby scripts/executables.

There is nothing that takes Ruby source and produces native code.

If the goal is to at least mask or bundle the installation of Ruby, look
at RubyScript2Exe

James

Jeff Barczewski

Thanks Erik. That is a great article which explains and illustrates
things very well. This is great technology. I love how you explain
everything in straight forward terms.

I'll need to get some dutch beer though, I'm all out :)

Jeff

Austin Ziegler

There is nothing that takes Ruby source and produces native code.

If the goal is to at least mask or bundle the installation of Ruby, look
at RubyScript2Exe

Two days ago, this was true. But with Eric Hodel's "I Rock" thread, I
think that this is no longer true.

-austin

Phil Tomson

Two days ago, this was true. But with Eric Hodel's "I Rock" thread, I
think that this is no longer true.

Well, it's a bit premature to make this declaration. You might want to
modify it some: Eric Hodel's "I Rock" thread gives us hope that in the
future it will no longer be true. There are many obstacles yet to
overcome.

Phil

James Britt

Austin said:
Two days ago, this was true. But with Eric Hodel's "I Rock" thread, I
think that this is no longer true.

Ah, of course. But is this at the point of practical,
deploy-to-the-masses, everyday readiness?

I haven't completely followed the thread, but from what I have glanced
through I don't think one can take an arbitrary Ruby file and get a
standalone, native exe from it.

Yet.

James

Ryan Davis

Ah, of course. But is this at the point of practical,
deploy-to-the-masses, everyday readiness?

I haven't completely followed the thread, but from what I have glanced
through I don't think one can take an arbitrary Ruby file and get a
standalone, native exe from it.

Yet.

I'm curious James, as to how far you think we are from that goal. :)

James Britt

Ryan said:
I'm curious James, as to how far you think we are from that goal. :)

Oh, I couldn't give any estimates. I'm basing my optimism on my
understanding of what has been done with RubyInline and Ruby2C, and the
overall impressive intelligence shown by the Ruby community in general.

James