How to interface with an API written in Java/COM/C++?

Derek Haskin

Actually I just found out that the API is provided in 3 different
languages.
- Java
- COM
- C++

i will probably use the java api since i've used java in the past.

so the question is does ruby provide a mechanism to interface with APIs
written in Java.

thanks
derek.

Derek
Haskin/TRANSURBAN
05/05/2005 12:13 (e-mail address removed)
cc

Subject
How to interface with an API
written in C++?

Hi,

Does any know how I would go about making calls to a set of APIs written in
C++

The reason is I want to use ruby to make direct calls to our source control
tool which is Harvest.

thanks
derek.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such a case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone on (03) 9612-6999 or (61) 3 9612-6999.
Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Transurban Limited and CityLink Melbourne Limited shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by them.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dave Burt

Derek Haskin said:
Actually I just found out that the API is provided in 3 different
languages.
- Java
- COM
- C++

i will probably use the java api since i've used java in the past.

so the question is does ruby provide a mechanism to interface with APIs
written in Java.

COM is pretty easy to interface with - look at Win32OLE, included in the
standard library.

Documentation is here:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/win32ole/rdoc/index.html

And here's the relevant page from the old Pickaxe, with a basic intro with
examples:
http://www.ruby.ch/ProgrammingRuby/htmlC/win32.html

Cheers,
Dave