Ruby IDE

Jayson Williams

Ok. I have been seriously working with VIM for the first time, and I
must say, it will be difficult to find anything as versatile as VIM.
There is a small learning curve for casual use, and a slight shift in
thinking, but after getting my feet wet, I am very impressed, and feel
that VIM will most likely become my primary editor. Not really an IDE,
but pretty darn close, and maybe even better.
~Jay

Martin DeMello

Ok. I have been seriously working with VIM for the first time, and I
must say, it will be difficult to find anything as versatile as VIM.
There is a small learning curve for casual use, and a slight shift in
thinking, but after getting my feet wet, I am very impressed, and feel
that VIM will most likely become my primary editor. Not really an IDE,
but pretty darn close, and maybe even better.

For those times you do need an IDE, netbeans has a vimlike editing plugin

http://jvi.sourceforge.net/

martin

Phillip Gawlowski

Casimir

Jayson Williams kirjoitti:
Ok. I have been seriously working with VIM for the first time, and I
must say, it will be difficult to find anything as versatile as VIM.
There is a small learning curve for casual use, and a slight shift in
thinking, but after getting my feet wet, I am very impressed, and feel
that VIM will most likely become my primary editor. Not really an IDE,
but pretty darn close, and maybe even better.
~Jay

VIM also has a very nice offshoot especially for those new to VIM,
called Cream.

Cream includes the original VIM interface, intermediate 'easy' +
original, and a easy interface. Menus for a lot of things that VIM only
has shortcuts.

I recommend it for those who feel learning +20 shortcuts is too much.

Casimir Pohjanraito

Reid Thompson

Ok. I have been seriously working with VIM for the first time, and I
must say, it will be difficult to find anything as versatile as VIM.
There is a small learning curve for casual use, and a slight shift in
thinking, but after getting my feet wet, I am very impressed, and feel
that VIM will most likely become my primary editor. Not really an IDE,
but pretty darn close, and maybe even better.
~Jay
for the little extras you might want, search the vim scripts archive...
ala

http://robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu/~srinath/vim/snapshot2.JPG

Michal Suchanek

AFAIK there is no usable email client that would also allow using
an external editor.

What about the most usable email client of all? Mutt[1]. I am writing
this email in Emacs whose client was launched through mutt.

http://mutt.org

Yes.

Until it can sort through the mailbox in background while I can see
and use the state before the last email came it's useless. Takes
forever to start up, and then keeps sorting as new mail comes in. You
absolutely need the multithreaded approach which you get with the
client-server model.

You don't have to actually split the application but it has to be
written such that it could be split into the email sorter part and the
viewer part that displays only part of the pre-sorted view. Otherwise
there are serious performance problems leading to serious usability
problems.

Thanks

Michal

Randy Kramer

I don't know what your definition of usable is, but ime, the ability to
specify an external editor is a pretty common feature of email clients.
Kmail let's you do it (at least pre 4.0--I have no experience post 4.0).
It's hard for me to remember an email client that I used for a fairly long
period of time that did not allow that. Of course, for about the last 8
years I've used kmail and only briefly tried some others.

Randy Kramer