Ruby IP to Location

payscroll

Hey folks

geoip.rb seems to be the only gem for IP to location ... and its an
easy to use and simple gem but it uses the maxmind demo db which is not
accurate at all... Anyone knows of an free to use ip to location db
available? I looked around and it looks like maxmind and ip2location
are the primary paid versions.

Appreciate any pointers... thanks much!
Alfred
Payscroll.com

Jeremy Tregunna

Hey folks

geoip.rb seems to be the only gem for IP to location ... and its an
easy to use and simple gem but it uses the maxmind demo db which is
not
accurate at all... Anyone knows of an free to use ip to location db
available? I looked around and it looks like maxmind and ip2location
are the primary paid versions.

There's hostip, but it's only really accurate on the country level.
Only gets the city right around 40 percent of the time. That said,
it'd get a lot more right if more people contributed to it.