Ruby/ODBC, Oracle 9.2 and tables(pattern) function - how to

Martin D. McLauchlan

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C3DF37.207DB350

I want to restrict the result set returned from the tables([pattern]) =
function of the ODBC:Database class. What types of a "pattern" does this =
funcion accept?

When I connect as scott/tiger and then use the tables function without =
any pattern I get 1932 rows in the result set. Only 4 rows are from the =
scott schema. The bulk of the other rows are of these types: "SYSTEM =
"VIEW", "SYNONYM", and "SYSTEM TABLE". The owner of these objects =
include "SYS" and "SYSTEM.

The Microsoft ODBC documentation specifies the function prototype for a =
SQLTables function. The documentation indicates that a "String search =
pattern for schema names", "String search pattern for table names" and a =
"List of table types to match" (in the form of a "value list argument") =
are provided for in the prototype. Some examples show the "table name" =
argument with a pattern of NULL, "%", "Orders", "Accounts Payable", =
"\"Accounts Payable\"". These patterns are in the sixth argument of the =
prototype.

I've used a number of different patterns with no success - the result =
set size is zero. Therefore, I could use some help in identifying how to =
specify a pattern. More specifically, how do I indicate that the pattern =
applies to the SchemaName, TableName, or TableType argument? Also, is =
the pattern a regular expression pattern or some other type of pattern =
enclosed in a string? It looks like the pattern uses the SQL wildcards =
of % and _.

Thanks in advance for any insights into this topic!

Regards,

Marty

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C3DF37.207DB350--