Ruby Web apps on OSX (not rails)

Areric

Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone has this set up and has managed to get web
application running through apache on OSX.

Currently I'm running OSX 10.5 and using the Mac version of XAMPP all
in one web server installation for running apache.

I can get rails apps working because they have their own web server
but not normal CGI ruby apps or ruby apps through something like
mod_ruby. I tried downloading and compiling mod_ruby but it fails in
the build.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Giles Bowkett

Apache and mod_ruby aren't popular options. Mongrel is far and away
your best bet. You can get good results writing Mongrel handlers in
Ruby if Rails isn't your cup of tea. Mongrel is pretty much *the* way
to serve Ruby over the Web. I don't recall quite why this is but
essentially with Mongrel you get mod_ruby for free.

http://www.slideshare.net/ezmobius/custom-mongrel-handlers-learning-how-to-walk-the-dog/

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

Areric

Podcast:http://hollywoodgrit.blogspot.com
Blog:http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio:http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog:http://giles.tumblr.com

hmm ok thanks ill give that a shot. I absolutley plan on looking into
rails soon enough i just wanted to learn the language behind the magic
so to speak before i move on to the rails framework.