RubyConf video, audio, streams and recordings?

ES

Sadly, I cannot attend this year (I will send you pictures from my
COBOL Retreat in the Rockies) but I sensed a definite lack of any
firm understanding of the state of capturing the wonderful essences
of rubydom on redistributable media?

Er, is anyone taping the presentations and stuff? Even boring old
non-streaming non-live recordings would be neat! Or a postcard, or
something.

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

Sadly, I cannot attend this year (I will send you pictures from my
COBOL Retreat in the Rockies) but I sensed a definite lack of any
firm understanding of the state of capturing the wonderful essences
of rubydom on redistributable media?

Er, is anyone taping the presentations and stuff? Even boring old
non-streaming non-live recordings would be neat! Or a postcard, or
something.

I second this. I can't make it either and would really like to see
and hear some of the presentations. I will donate server space to
serve up the media from on my 100Mbit unlimited pipe if someone
makes some video or audio available for the community.

Thanks-

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
WebMaster
Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper
(e-mail address removed)
509-577-7732

Ben Myles

Heck, if there were high quality streams of everything I'd pay for an
"internet pass" to RubyConf ;-)

Ben

Damphyr

Ben said:
Heck, if there were high quality streams of everything I'd pay for an
"internet pass" to RubyConf ;-)

Ben
Imagine what we europeans would say, left out of the party like this!
Yeah-ih for multimedia feeds.
:)
V.-

--
http://www.braveworld.net/riva

James Edward Gray II

Sadly, I cannot attend this year (I will send you pictures from my
COBOL Retreat in the Rockies) but I sensed a definite lack of any
firm understanding of the state of capturing the wonderful essences
of rubydom on redistributable media?

Er, is anyone taping the presentations and stuff? Even boring old
non-streaming non-live recordings would be neat! Or a postcard, or
something.

I think a Podcast for each presentation would be too cool for words. :)

James Edward Gray II

Ryan Leavengood

I think a Podcast for each presentation would be too cool for words. :)

Most definitely. What if podcasts were available for presentations on
the night after those presentations, along with web-based slides that
you could check out while listening to the podcast? That would be
wonderful.

Come on, we are the Ruby community, surely someone can set up a Ruby
script to automate all this, as long as someone can digitally record
the presentations and the presenters provide their slides in some
common format.

We could even use BitTorrent for the podcast downloads so no server is
too bogged down (though Ezra's offer sure is nice as well.)

Ryan

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

Most definitely. What if podcasts were available for presentations on
the night after those presentations, along with web-based slides that
you could check out while listening to the podcast? That would be
wonderful.

Come on, we are the Ruby community, surely someone can set up a Ruby
script to automate all this, as long as someone can digitally record
the presentations and the presenters provide their slides in some
common format.

We could even use BitTorrent for the podcast downloads so no server is
too bogged down (though Ezra's offer sure is nice as well.)

Ryan

I am cross posting this to the rails list as well. We want
podcasts and video from RubyConf!

Yes please lets make this happen. I have this server till the
end of the year and it has a very light load on it right now. My
account has unlimited bandwidth every month on a fat 100Mbit pipe and
I have plenty of HD space left. So come on! Lets use my bandwidth for
something good. I will create an ftp account for anyone who wants to
upload media from RubyConf and i will take the responsibility of
creating and maintaining a web page for people to download the media
from.
Anyone going to RubyConf that would be kind enough to record
some video or audio please contact me on or off list and I will set
up the necessary ftp accounts and whatnot. I have learned so much
from everyone here that its only fair I donate a little something
back. Maybe I will just install Typo and make a post about each media
file as they come in with attribution and description.

I hope we can get some kind souls to take pitty on all of us rubyists
who can't afford to make it to San Diego

Thoughts?

Cheers-

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
(e-mail address removed)

Chad Fowler

[...]

If someone wants to bring an extra laptop and baby sit the recordings,
I believe we can make this happen. I don't know the exact specs on
our audio equipment, so any volunteer will need to show up with a
fairly extensive collection of Radio Shack adapters. We will be
running everything through a mixer, so I'm sure it will be possible to
get good audio.

Email me directly at chad <at> chadfowler <dot> com if you're interested.

--
Chad Fowler
http://chadfowler.com

Wilson Bilkovich

I volunteered, but I haven't heard back. Maybe someone had a more
competent-sounding offer. Heh.

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

I'm still ready to post anything that anyone records. So get in touch
with me off list Wilson if you want to record some stuff and I will
set you up with an ftp account to upload your recordings to.

Cheers-
-EZra

I volunteered, but I haven't heard back. Maybe someone had a more
competent-sounding offer. Heh.

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
WebMaster
Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper
(e-mail address removed)
509-577-7732

Jim Freeze

All

Chad has obtained a mp3 recorder.
I, and anyone else that wants to help, will assist in
recording the sessions.

The plan is, at the end of each session, to create an
mp3 of each talk, add the idv info, clean up the noise
(if possible) and post it. We are more than happy to
use either Zachery's and/or Ezra's machine to host
the data.

I would prefer to set these up as a podcast and use something
like odeo. I have applied, but have not received a response.

I have never published a podcast. If anyone has or knows how
to set these up as a subscription based podcast, that would be
great!

Jim