RubyConf wifi

Rick DeNatale

David A. Black

Hi --

Does anyone know if there will be wifi access at the conference for
those of us who aren't staying at the Omni?

Yes, we're providing wifi for the conference.

David

* Advancing With Rails, Edison, NJ, November 6-9
See http://www.rubypal.com for details!

S.D

I've upgraded to Ruby 1.9 today, in preparation for attending RubyConf
in Charlotte this weekend, and ran across some problems after upgrading.

I've written a web application in Ruby that controls embedded media
players over the internet.
When I attempt to run this existing web application, I get the following
output(s):

bash-/public$ ruby WM5.rb
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:432:in `method_missing':
undefined method `exists?' for File:Class (NoMethodError)
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:432:in `block in
ensure_gem_subdirectories'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:430:in `each'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:430:in
`ensure_gem_subdirectories'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:355:in `set_home'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:121:in `dir'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:364:in `set_paths'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:131:in `path'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:60:in
`installed_spec_directories'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:47:in
`from_installed_gems'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:109:in `source_index'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:111:in
`init_gemspecs'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:57:in `initialize'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:30:in `new'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:30:in `rescue in
require'
from
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:28:in `require'
from WM5.rb:17:in `<main>'

If this is common for Ruby 1.9 or if it is a result of some further
setup I need to take care of, please point it out to me. The errors all
point to rubygems, so I'd assume that others have encountered this
problem. Questions like: "Do gems need to be reinstalled, moved or just
pointed to some environment variable?" come to mind.
This same code runs without error(s) when I start it with Ruby 1.8.6.

Thanks for all replies and I look forward to seeing many of you this
weekend.

-- Steve Downie

ajalkane

bash-/public$ ruby WM5.rb
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:432:in `method_missing':
undefined method `exists?' for File:Class (NoMethodError)
If this is common for Ruby 1.9 or if it is a result of some further
setup I need to take care of, please point it out to me. The errors all
point to rubygems, so I'd assume that others have encountered this
problem. Questions like: "Do gems need to be reinstalled, moved or just
pointed to some environment variable?" come to mind.
This same code runs without error(s) when I start it with Ruby 1.8.6.

File.exists? has been deprecated in favor of File.exist?

S.D

ajalkane said:
File.exists? has been deprecated in favor of File.exist?
Why should something as simple as this cause legacy code to break? And
why not provide syntactic "sugar" so that this type of change does no
harm? I guess I'm a bit "old school", but breaking legacy code is never
a good thing and should be done only for very good reasons.

Now, I'll have to do ruby version detection in several server
deployments and branch the code accordingly. ARRRGGGGG!

That being said, I have a deep appreciation for all of the work that
Matz and others have done to make Ruby what it is today. I just hope we
make "not breaking" legacy code a priority as the language continues to
evolve.

-- Steve Downie