[UPDATE] RubyConf 2006 registration pre-info

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by dblack, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. dblack

    dblack Guest

    Hi --

    Here's the current status of RubyConf registration:

    My current plan, barring unforeseen whatever, is to open registration
    on August 2. I'm going to be in Los Angeles doing Rails training, so
    it's a bit dependent on hotel connectivity and stuff, and it will
    probably be in the evening, Pacific time.

    I'm tinkering with the form.... We're using an outside registration
    service for the first time, so I have to make sure I get it right, and
    it's actually pretty complicated (I think). We got our credit card
    merchant account, so we're good to go on that score.

    We'll announce it on mailing lists and on the Ruby Central site
    (http://www.rubycentral.org), and wherever else we can think of :)

    David

    http://www.manning.com/black => RUBY FOR RAILS (reviewed on
    Slashdot, 7/12/2006!)
    http://dablog.rubypal.com => D[avid ]A[. ]B[lack's][ Web]log
    => me

    dblack, Jul 28, 2006

  2. dblack

    Tom Werner Guest

    Given the small number of spots for the conference and the large number
    of people who want to fill those spots, I wonder if a two stage
    registration would be more egalitarian. Stage one would involve the
    collection of details for anyone wanting to register (open for perhaps
    two or three days). From this (probably staggering) pool of potential
    registrants, the chosen few would be picked at random and their payments
    would be collected in the second stage.

    While this approach would be a bit more work than just opening the
    registration floodgate and watching with horror (or delight?) the
    ensuing stampede, it would at least mean a fair chance for those who
    find themselves on the toilet when you press the magic button.

    On one hand, perhaps the hardcore, with their polling scripts and high
    blood pressure, deserve to be rewarded with admission, but on the other
    hand, there are a lot of us that are nearly, but not quite, as hardcore
    who want to attend just as badly.

    Regards,

    Tom

    --
    Tom Werner
    Helmets to Hardhats

    www.helmetstohardhats.org

    Tom Werner, Jul 28, 2006

  3. dblack

    N Okia Guest

    I'd like to second Tom's suggestion. Given the supply vs. demand on
    this one, I would like to see a lottery. I live only a few blocks from
    the Convention location this year, and will be most disheartened if I
    cannot get in. However, I'd be much happier if I have an equal shot
    with the 'campers' :)

    N Okia, Jul 28, 2006
  4. dblack

    Jim Freeze Guest

    Jim Freeze, Jul 28, 2006
  5. I would rather not lead the Denial of Service attach on Ruby
    Central. ;)

    If you guys really can write a script that properly submits before
    you have seen the form though, you are a lot cooler than I am!

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Jul 28, 2006
  6. The organizers may already know about this, but
    I'll pass it along just in case...

    I heard once that when you sign up for space at
    a hotel, you can adjust the size of the room up
    or down depending on the number of registrations
    you get.

    They have all those folding partitions they use
    to make rooms larger or smaller, you wind up
    getting charged for the space you actually use.

    There is probably some lead time to take in
    account (a week? two?). But it's one to go to
    prevent having to "plan small" to be safe...

    Eric Armstrong, Jul 28, 2006
  7. dblack

    Tom Werner Guest

    Another interesting thing this would accomplish is to determine with
    absolute certainly how many people actually *are* interested in
    attending the conference (providing better audience knowledge to the
    decision makers when it comes time to plan for next year's RubyConf).

    Tom

    --
    Tom Werner
    Helmets to Hardhats

    www.helmetstohardhats.org

    Tom Werner, Jul 29, 2006
  8. Slap a page on the RubyGarden wiki, I imagine if people want to
    express interest they will, though I don't know this can change the
    amount of seats available.

    Gregory Brown, Jul 29, 2006
  9. Ah, but for performance, shouldn't you write the script in C?

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Jul 29, 2006