Safe e-mail linking

Darrel Hoffman

I'd like to have a link to a contact e-mail on my website, but I've had
bad experience with doing this before. I was using the following syntax
before:

But apparently spambots know how to look for that type of thing, and my
inbox was soon flooded with enough home mortgage offers and male
enhancement pill advertising to leave an army in permanent debt and keep
their wives happy for a full solid year. I'd like to have other
options. Right now, I have the address listed in pure-text form as an
ultimate safety precaution, so visitors will just see: "fake AT address
DOT com", and they'll have to open their e-mail program, copy-paste, and
then change the "AT" and "DOT" to the appropriate symbols in order to
contact me. It's better than nothing, I suppose, and better than my
original thought which was to just put the e-mail address up as a .jpg,
so the user would have to type it all manually, but I'm worried these
drastic measures will prevent people from contacting me who might do so
otherwise. (It's a portfolio site for potential employers.) I could go
half-way, and just write the e-mail as text only, but without the
symbol-replacements, like "(e-mail address removed)", but that might be visible
to spambots as well. The only other option I can think of would be to
use some sort of 3rd party solution, like making a Flash button with an
e-mail link built in. (Though I'm somewhat of a novice with Flash -
Shockwave I could easily do, but that's not a guarantee on most systems,
and it's definitely a bit extreme for just making an e-mail link...)
How do other people put working links for e-mail addresses on their
websites and yet avoid getting buried under a mountain of weight-loss
advertisements and paypal pyramid schemes?

(BTW, if somebody actually has an e-mail called "(e-mail address removed)", and
it's now getting flooded with spam because I just posted it 3 times on
Usenet, I apologize, but you gotta admit you were asking for it...)

Els

Darrel said:
How do
other people put working links for e-mail addresses on
their websites and yet avoid getting buried under a
mountain of weight-loss advertisements and paypal pyramid
schemes?

So far I've gotten away with (e-mail address removed). Both in the
mailto link, and in the visible address. Because mailto doesn't
always work (some people don't have access to a mailclient and
use hotmail other webmail) I have a mailform as well.

Davmagic .Com

From: (e-mail address removed)
(Darrel Hoffman)
I'd like to have a link to a contact e-mail
on my website, but I've had bad
experience with doing this before.

Use a Form Mail script... and use one that allows you to code the addy
in your source so that it doesn't show... and only shows in the
script...

Look for the link for Updated Matt's Scripts here:
http://davmagic.com/PAGES41.html#misc

Web Design, Magic, Painting, Junking, More
http://www.davmagic.com
Paint A House
http://www.paintahouse.com
NOTE: This emailbox is CLOSED do NOT reply!!!

SlowRyde

Darrel said:
[...]

I've used this free program for the past two years:
http://www.codefoot.com/software/ecloaker/index.shtml
It encodes everything from behind the href=" to the /a. So far, so good :)

\\// Robert

Neal

I'd like to have a link to a contact e-mail on my website, but I've had
bad experience with doing this before. I was using the following syntax
before:

But apparently spambots know how to look for that type of thing, and my
inbox was soon flooded with enough home mortgage offers and male
enhancement pill advertising to leave an army in permanent debt and keep
their wives happy for a full solid year. I'd like to have other
options.

Best solution is a combo of the actual email address messed up with
characters ([email protected]) and a mail form - I recommend
FormMail from NMS. http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml

The reason is mailto links can't always work. It's only good if the user
has an email client hooked up to the browser, and on other's computers or
in public places it's not possible. So providing a form means they can
definitely email you regardless. But also provide the address (as a mailto
is fine) for those who prefer to use their own client to send the mail.