Search Excel/access using ASP.

Lion

Hi,

I am exporting Phonebook details which include Name, Location and Number
from our Telephone system in CSV or TXT format. I would like to load this in
to the Excel or Access with a ASP/HTML front end so that users can use it
like a Phone Directory where they can lookup telephone numbers by inserting
user name and lookup name by entering number or location. Does anyone have
any links to a website with something that will meet my requirements that I
could modify. If this is in the wrong group please kindly let me know.

Thank you.

Bob Barrows

Lion said:
Hi,

I am exporting Phonebook details which include Name, Location and
Number from our Telephone system in CSV or TXT format. I would like
to load this in to the Excel or Access with a ASP/HTML front end so
that users can use it like a Phone Directory where they can lookup
telephone numbers by inserting user name and lookup name by entering
number or location. Does anyone have any links to a website with
something that will meet my requirements that I could modify. If
this is in the wrong group please kindly let me know.

Thank you.

For classic ASP, look for GenericDB. That should suit your needs
perfectly.
Actually, I'm not sure if you are aware that asp.general is for classic
(COM-based) ASP questions. Are you actually looking for a .Net solution?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

After upload, you can read a CSV like a database. You then use the DataSet
from reading the file and use it to update Excel or Access. I would aim for
Access personally, as Excel is not a database.

I believe it is the JET provider that is used for CSV (or tab delimited)
files.

You can also create an empty DataSet from Access for the table you are
generated for Access.

Hope this leads you in the right direction.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Good call Mark. I just answered the question.

My advice still works, as ADO still can use JET to query CSV, but I cannot
lead him all the way down the primrose path. :)

Mike Brind

Lion said:
Hi,

I am exporting Phonebook details which include Name, Location and Number
from our Telephone system in CSV or TXT format. I would like to load this
in to the Excel or Access with a ASP/HTML front end so that users can use
it like a Phone Directory where they can lookup telephone numbers by
inserting user name and lookup name by entering number or location. Does
anyone have any links to a website with something that will meet my
requirements that I could modify. If this is in the wrong group please
kindly let me know.

Thank you.

If this is an ASP.NET question, these articles might help:

Reading Text Files into Access using ASP.NET:
http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=67
and then:
Optional Criteria Search Engine with Access in ASP.NET:
http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=68