search & replace from input file

julia

I have a input file and want to create an output file that contains
the converted digit we find in inputfile. Can you help me fix the
script ?

Inputfile
23456
3216,98
3452
40
4
outputfile
*****
****,**
****
**
*

sub doReplace
{
my @outLines; #Data we are going to output
my $line; #Data we are reading line by line

open (FILE, $in ) or
die "Cannot open file: $!";

while ( $line = <FILE> )
{
$line =~ s/\d{4}/****/;
$line =~ s/\d{5}/*****/;
$line =~ s/\d{8}/*********/;

push(@outLines, $line);
}
close FILE;

open ( OUTFILE, ">$out" ) or
die "Cannot open file: $!";

print ( OUTFILE @outLines );
close ( OUTFILE );

undef( @outLines );

Glenn Jackman

At 2005-04-19 03:38PM said:
while ( $line = <FILE> )
{
$line =~ s/\d{4}/****/;
$line =~ s/\d{5}/*****/;
$line =~ s/\d{8}/*********/;

Think about what happens when $line = '12345678' after the first s///
You want to change the order:
$line =~ s/\d{8}/*********/;
$line =~ s/\d{5}/*****/;
$line =~ s/\d{4}/****/;

Why not s/\d/*/g ?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

julia said:
I have a input file and want to create an output file that contains
the converted digit we find in inputfile. Can you help me fix the
script ?

Inputfile
23456
3216,98