Searching through two logfiles in parallel?

Victor Hooi

Hi,

I'm trying to compare two logfiles in Python.

One logfile will have lines recording the message being sent:

05:00:06 Message sent - Value A: 5.6, Value B: 6.2, Value C: 9.9

the other logfile has line recording the message being received

05:00:09 Message received - Value A: 5.6, Value B: 6.2, Value C: 9.9

The goal is to compare the time stamp between the two - we can safely assume the timestamp on the message being received is later than the timestamp on transmission.

If it was a direct line-by-line, I could probably use itertools.izip(), right?

However, it's not a direct line-by-line comparison of the two files - the lines I'm looking for are interspersed among other loglines, and the time difference between sending/receiving is quite variable.

So the idea is to iterate through the sending logfile - then iterate through the receiving logfile from that timestamp forwards, looking for the matching pair. Obviously I want to minimise the amount of back-forth through the file.

Also, there is a chance that certain messages could get lost - so I assume there's a threshold after which I want to give up searching for the matching received message, and then just try to resync to the next sent message.

Is there a Pythonic way, or some kind of idiom that I can use to approach this problem?

Cheers,
Victor

Oscar Benjamin

[...]

Assuming that you can impose a maximum time between the send and
recieve timestamps, something like the following might work
(untested):

def find_matching(logfile1, logfile2, maxdelta):
buf = {}
logfile2 = iter(logfile2)
for msg1 in logfile1:
if msg1.key in buf:
yield msg1, buf.pop(msg1.key)
continue
maxtime = msg1.time + maxdelta
for msg2 in logfile2:
if msg2.key == msg1.key:
yield msg1, msg2
break
buf[msg2.key] = msg2
if msg2.time > maxtime:
break
else:
yield msg1, 'No match'

Oscar

Victor Hooi

Hi Oscar,

Thanks for the quick reply =).

I'm trying to understand your code properly, and it seems like for each line in logfile1, we loop through all of logfile2?

The idea was that it would remember it's position in logfile2 as well - since we can assume that the loglines are in chronological order - we only need to search forwards in logfile2 each time, not from the beginning each time.

So for example - logfile1:

05:00:06 Message sent - Value A: 5.6, Value B: 6.2, Value C: 9.9
05:00:08 Message sent - Value A: 3.3, Value B: 4.3, Value C: 2.3
05:00:14 Message sent - Value A: 1.0, Value B: 0.4, Value C: 5.4

logfile2:

05:00:09 Message received - Value A: 5.6, Value B: 6.2, Value C: 9.9
05:00:12 Message received - Value A: 3.3, Value B: 4.3, Value C: 2.3
05:00:15 Message received - Value A: 1.0, Value B: 0.4, Value C: 5.4

The idea is that I'd iterate through logfile 1 - I'd get the 05:00:06 logline - I'd search through logfile2 and find the 05:00:09 logline.

Then, back in logline1 I'd find the next logline at 05:00:08. Then in logfile2, instead of searching back from the beginning, I'd start from the next line, which happens to be 5:00:12.

In reality, I'd need to handle missing messages in logfile2, but that's the general idea.

Does that make sense? (There's also a chance I've misunderstood your buf code, and it does do this - in that case, I apologies - is there any chance you could explain it please?)

Cheers,
Victor

[...]

No we don't. It iterates once through both files but keeps a buffer of
lines that are within maxdelta time of the current message.

The important line is the line that calls iter(logfile2). Since
logfile2 is replaced by an iterator when we break out of the inner for
loop and then re-enter our place in the iterator is saved. If you can
follow the interactive session below it should make sense:
.... print x,
1 2 3 4 5.... print x,
1 2 3 4 5.... print x,
2 3 4 5Traceback (most recent call last):
.... print x,
........ print x,
.... if x == 2: break
1 2.... print x,
3 4 5

I'll repeat the code (with a slight fix):

[...]

darnold

i don't think in iterators (yet), so this is a bit wordy.
same basic idea, though: for each message (set of parameters), build a
list of transactions consisting of matching send/receive times.

mildly tested:

from datetime import datetime, timedelta

sendData = '''\
05:00:06 Message sent - Value A: 5.6, Value B: 6.2, Value C: 9.9
05:00:08 Message sent - Value A: 3.3, Value B: 4.3, Value C: 2.3
05:00:10 Message sent - Value A: 3.0, Value B: 0.4, Value C: 5.4
#orphan
05:00:14 Message sent - Value A: 1.0, Value B: 0.4, Value C: 5.4
07:00:14 Message sent - Value A: 1.0, Value B: 0.4, Value C: 5.4
'''

receiveData = '''\
05:00:09 Message received - Value A: 5.6, Value B: 6.2, Value C:
9.9
05:00:12 Message received - Value A: 3.3, Value B: 4.3, Value C:
2.3
05:00:15 Message received - Value A: 1.0, Value B: 0.4, Value C:
5.4
07:00:18 Message received - Value A: 1.0, Value B: 0.4, Value C:
5.4
07:00:30 Message received - Value A: 1.0, Value B: 0.4, Value C:
5.4 #orphan
07:00:30 Message received - Value A: 17.0, Value B: 0.4, Value C:
5.4 #orphan
'''

def parse(line):
timestamp, rest = line.split(' Message ')
action, params = rest.split(' - ' )
params = params.split('#')[0]
return timestamp.strip(), params.strip()

def isMatch(sendTime,receiveTime,maxDelta):
if sendTime is None:
return False

sendDT = datetime.strptime(sendTime,'%H:%M:%S')
receiveDT = datetime.strptime(receiveTime,'%H:%M:%S')
return receiveDT - sendDT <= maxDelta

results = {}

for line in sendData.split('\n'):
if not line.strip():
continue

timestamp, params = parse(line)
if params not in results:
results[params] = [{'sendTime': timestamp, 'receiveTime':
None}]
else:
results[params].append({'sendTime': timestamp, 'receiveTime':
None})

for line in receiveData.split('\n'):
if not line.strip():
continue

timestamp, params = parse(line)
if params not in results:
results[params] = [{'sendTime': None, 'receiveTime':
timestamp}]
else:
for tranNum, transaction in enumerate(results[params]):
if
isMatch(transaction['sendTime'],timestamp,timedelta(seconds=5)):
results[params][tranNum]['receiveTime'] = timestamp
break
else:
results[params].append({'sendTime': None, 'receiveTime':
timestamp})

for params in sorted(results):
print params
for transaction in results[params]:
print '\t%s' % transaction

Value A: 1.0, Value B: 0.4, Value C: 5.4
{'sendTime': '05:00:14', 'receiveTime': '05:00:15'}
{'sendTime': '07:00:14', 'receiveTime': '07:00:18'}
{'sendTime': None, 'receiveTime': '07:00:30'}
Value A: 17.0, Value B: 0.4, Value C: 5.4
{'sendTime': None, 'receiveTime': '07:00:30'}
Value A: 3.0, Value B: 0.4, Value C: 5.4
{'sendTime': '05:00:10', 'receiveTime': None}
Value A: 3.3, Value B: 4.3, Value C: 2.3
{'sendTime': '05:00:08', 'receiveTime': '05:00:12'}
Value A: 5.6, Value B: 6.2, Value C: 9.9
{'sendTime': '05:00:06', 'receiveTime': '05:00:09'}
HTH,
Don

Oscar Benjamin

i don't think in iterators (yet), so this is a bit wordy.
same basic idea, though: for each message (set of parameters), build a
list of transactions consisting of matching send/receive times.

The advantage of an iterator based solution is that we can avoid

[SNIP]
results = {}

for line in sendData.split('\n'):
if not line.strip():
continue

timestamp, params = parse(line)
if params not in results:
results[params] = [{'sendTime': timestamp, 'receiveTime':
None}]
else:
results[params].append({'sendTime': timestamp, 'receiveTime':
None})
[SNIP]

This kind of logic is made a little easier (and more efficient) if you
use a collections.defaultdict instead of a dict since it saves needing
to check if the key is in the dict yet. Example:
import collections
results = collections.defaultdict(list)
results
results['asd'].append(1)
results
results['asd'].append(2)
results
results['qwe'].append(3)
results
defaultdict(<type 'list'>, {'qwe': [3], 'asd': [1, 2]})

Oscar