selective module include

Bill Kelly

Howdy!

I'm inheriting from BasicObject (ruby 1.9), but in my case
I'd like it to be slightly less basic.

Currently I'm importing methods like:

def lambda(*args, &block)
Kernel.lambda(*args, &block)
end

def raise(*args)
Kernel.raise(*args)
end

def throw(*args)
Kernel.throw(*args)
end

But I'm guessing there's probably a way I could do more
of a selective 'include' and import these methods more
directly, rather than wrapping them like this?

(I looked at the source for rb_include_module and
include_class_new, but it didn't seem to involve any
loops that operated on a method-by-method basis.)

Thanks for any help,

Bill

Michael Guterl

Howdy!

I'm inheriting from BasicObject (ruby 1.9), but in my case
I'd like it to be slightly less basic.

Currently I'm importing methods like:

=C2=A0def lambda(*args, &block)
=C2=A0 Kernel.lambda(*args, &block)
=C2=A0end

=C2=A0def raise(*args)
=C2=A0 Kernel.raise(*args)
=C2=A0end
=C2=A0def throw(*args)
=C2=A0 Kernel.throw(*args)
=C2=A0end

But I'm guessing there's probably a way I could do more of a selective
'include' and import these methods more
directly, rather than wrapping them like this?

(I looked at the source for rb_include_module and
include_class_new, but it didn't seem to involve any
loops that operated on a method-by-method basis.)

You may want to look at Daniel Berger's "use" library. Although I
cannot find it anywhere, he does mention it in ruby-talk:316199 and
includes the source code in the message.

http://www.nabble.com/Help,-Ruby-1.8.6-p287-broke-my-"use"--library-and=
-I-don%27t-know-why-td19706284.html

Best regards,
Michael Guterl

Bill Kelly

From: "Michael Guterl said:
You may want to look at Daniel Berger's "use" library. Although I
cannot find it anywhere, he does mention it in ruby-talk:316199 and
includes the source code in the message.

http://www.nabble.com/Help,-Ruby-1....-library-and-I-don't-know-why-td19706284.html

Thanks! That got me started. I ended up with the following, which seems
to behave as I'd hoped.

class SpartanObject < BasicObject
include ::Kernel

keep = BasicObject.public_instance_methods +
BasicObject.protected_instance_methods +
BasicObject.private_instance_methods +
%w(
catch class inspect object_id raise throw to_s
is_a? kind_of? nil? respond_to?
).map {|m| m.to_sym}

(public_instance_methods +
protected_instance_methods +
private_instance_methods).each {|m| undef_method m unless keep.include? m}
end

Regards,

Bill