self inflicted

kpg

multi-post - sorry! posted in m.p.dotnet.languages.vb

ASP.NET 2.0

I have an unusual situation dealing with forms authentication,
not doubt brought on by how I have structured the application.

The setup:

Users enter the site from one of several pages, A,B,C, etc.
These pages allow all users. In theses pages I setup site
customizing session variables then redirect users to a common
home page.

The home page is protected by deny anonymous users, so users
are sent to a login page to be authenticated. Authentication
is based on how they entered the site, A,B,C.

I set things up this way so I can use a common login page,
but that page is customized based on how the user entered the
site: A,B,C. (different logo, text, etc.).

The problem:

Let's say a user entered on page 'A', gets authenticated and
is sitting on the home page. Then they edit the browser URL
to navigate to page 'B'. (the user should not do this, but
users do all sorts of thing they shouldn't do).

Well, since the user is already authenticated the login screen
is by-passed. Additionally, since the home page is already
loaded in their browser, the home Page_Load event is not fired.
This results in Page A authentication but Page B session
variables - a big mess

To solve this problem I want to un-authenticate the user in
the page_load event of the entry pages (A,B,C..), but removing
the ASPXAUTH cookie does not seems to unauthenticate the user
as the login page is not displayed for some reason, but it does
force the home page_load event, so this is half correct - but
still no good.

I tried setting the web.config to allow anonymous, deny all on
the entry pages (A,B,C), and this works upon normal entry, but
when the user navigates there after authorization they can't
get past the login screen, because once they are authorized
they are denied access to the requested entry page and sent
back to the login page - and endless loop.

I did come up with something that works: I check for the
..ASPXAUTH cookie on the entry page and if it is present I
send the user to an error page.

To improve on this I keep a session variable "LastValidPage",
and if the user enters the site while authenticated (the
cookie is present) I simply redirect them to this page, so
from the users standpoint nothing has happened.

My question is - is there a better way?

I thought of having each entry page actually be a customized
login page (but I like the idea of having a single login page).

I'm not sure how this would work, the home page would deny
anonymous, so the system would want to redirect to a
login.aspx page - I suppose I could have the login.aspx page
display an error message instead of presenting a login. If
the user tried to access the home page directly they would
get the login error page. Then if the user changed to a
different entry page mid-site, they would need to login based
on that page's criteria and everything could be kept straight.

Thoughts or comments?

Thanks.
kpg