Businessman/entrepreneur/self-taught web developer

Joined
Aug 11, 2022
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I am basically a businessman/entrepreneur but because I operate in a niche market, I have become a self-taught web developer over the last 20 years. (Couldn't find packages to do what I needed, so I wrote it myself - generally HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, PHP, Perl, MySQL and some javascript routines lifted from online sources and modified).

Because my primary focus is my business, I do not have as much time as I would like to stay up to date and improve my sites. Much of my stuff is now archaic, but it works. And there are plenty of holes in my knowledge base, as I would always learn enough to do a job, but had no reason to learn more.

I joined this forum because I am hoping to initiate discussions on "what is the best way to improve ...[whatever]". I have tried other forums, but found in most cases it was "show your code and we'll correct it". That's not what I need. What I am looking for is "I want to do this, how can I accomplish it?", or "How is that effect generated on this [example] website?".

Here's hoping that the member base on this forum is amenable to those kind of discussions.

canada_roy

BTW, I'm 69. Bought my first Apple IIe in 1980 for $3,000 (without a hard drive).